Toro TurfMaster Transmission Problems

Mrlou

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Friends,

I am having problems with my new Toro TurfMaster. The transmission quit working after 10 mowing this year. It acted weird before it stopped altogether. The trans was slipping trying to start the mower moving. Once the beast got up to speed it seemed okay, just okay though. Starting the mower on the slightest of incline the mower won't move without a push, and it's a heavy mower. The tires were not slipping, it just sat there, personal pace bar fully engaged with absolutely no power being delivered to the wheels. Then it just quit working altogether. Crap I spent $1799.00 on a mower that I thought would end my mower problems for my lifetime, wrong again.

The warranty covered a replacement and the unthinkable happened. The newly replaced transmission acts as poorly as the original. It slips on engagement and as a experiment I pulled against it yesterday while mowing and it stopped without any wheel slipping, oh boy. So I've talked (email) with Toro and after a couple of communications I was told "There is no current rework on the transmission for this unit". I can't express my disappointment upon reading that.

I was told other things to check with the dealer from whom I purchased my TurfMaster. Of course I called them and they assured me checking "pulleys and gears" are always done with issues like mine. That just makes good sense.

So tell me friends I'm I the only person experiencing this type of transmission issues with the release of the much anticipated commercial version of the TimeMaster? I hope I'm not the only one.

Toro appreciates the opportunity to assist me and are making me feel free to contact them with any further questions. You can believe I want to talk to them but I have to know if others are having the problem with the transmission too.

I think this mower shows great promise once the bugs are worked out. Blade tip speed is phenomenal, those blades can suspend a ton of wet grass clippings against the deck until it finally has to stall. It's been very wet here this summer so I'm not surprised mulching is so tuff on the mower. The cut is fabulous! The Kawasaki engine is so easy to start. I was thinking it was under powered but I'm holding back judgement until I can cut dry grass. I'm asking to much from the engine now I think. I fear the little rear wheels are gonna be problematic once power is delivered to them. The height adjustment is really convenient to use also. Steering is tuff but I'll work around that. Oh, and I just gotta warn men using this mower, wearing thin shorts with this mower can give a painful pinch between the personal pace bar and the handle if you get my drift.

Thanks for reading
Lou

Threads
I moved your thread to the Toro/Wheelhorse Forum. :smile:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello Friends,

I am having problems with my new Toro TurfMaster. The transmission quit working after 10 mowing this year. It acted weird before it stopped altogether. The trans was slipping trying to start the mower moving. Once the beast got up to speed it seemed okay, just okay though. Starting the mower on the slightest of incline the mower won't move without a push, and it's a heavy mower. The tires were not slipping, it just sat there, personal pace bar fully engaged with absolutely no power being delivered to the wheels. Then it just quit working altogether. Crap I spent $1799.00 on a mower that I thought would end my mower problems for my lifetime, wrong again.

The warranty covered a replacement and the unthinkable happened. The newly replaced transmission acts as poorly as the original. It slips on engagement and as a experiment I pulled against it yesterday while mowing and it stopped without any wheel slipping, oh boy. So I've talked (email) with Toro and after a couple of communications I was told "There is no current rework on the transmission for this unit". I can't express my disappointment upon reading that.

I was told other things to check with the dealer from whom I purchased my TurfMaster. Of course I called them and they assured me checking "pulleys and gears" are always done with issues like mine. That just makes good sense.

So tell me friends I'm I the only person experiencing this type of transmission issues with the release of the much anticipated commercial version of the TimeMaster? I hope I'm not the only one.

Toro appreciates the opportunity to assist me and are making me feel free to contact them with any further questions. You can believe I want to talk to them but I have to know if others are having the problem with the transmission too.

I think this mower shows great promise once the bugs are worked out. Blade tip speed is phenomenal, those blades can suspend a ton of wet grass clippings against the deck until it finally has to stall. It's been very wet here this summer so I'm not surprised mulching is so tuff on the mower. The cut is fabulous! The Kawasaki engine is so easy to start. I was thinking it was under powered but I'm holding back judgement until I can cut dry grass. I'm asking to much from the engine now I think. I fear the little rear wheels are gonna be problematic once power is delivered to them. The height adjustment is really convenient to use also. Steering is tuff but I'll work around that. Oh, and I just gotta warn men using this mower, wearing thin shorts with this mower can give a painful pinch between the personal pace bar and the handle if you get my drift.

Thanks for reading
Lou

Have you tried adjusting the drive cable, and have you replaced the drive belt by chance. It sounds like it needs adjustment. I'm wondering if they put the tab and spring back in place. I've never had a problem with the drive system on my Turf master and I use it everyday 6 days a week. You say the personal pace bar fully engaged with absolutely no power being delivered to the wheels and that confuses me because the Turfmaster doesn't have a personal pace feature, it has a control bar for drive and blade engagement which can be adjusted for the speed you like. If it's possible could you post some pictures of the drive unit it self.

Mrlou

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ric, thanks for the suggestions. I have not attempted any self checks or adjustments yet. I've been relying on my Toro distributor right or wrong. I might have to roll up my sleeves and get into this mower myself, good idea.

I'll try to take some pictures and figure out how to post them.

The speed of the mower is adjusted by decreasing the distance between the handle and control bar so I'm calling that feature personal pace. It's variable up to 4.1MPH so I called it personal pace.

I'm happy your TurfMaster is working flawlessly, I'll get there too I hope.

Lou

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric, thanks for the suggestions. I have not attempted any self checks or adjustments yet. I've been relying on my Toro distributor right or wrong. I might have to roll up my sleeves and get into this mower myself, good idea.

I'll try to take some pictures and figure out how to post them.

The speed of the mower is adjusted by decreasing the distance between the handle and control bar so I'm calling that feature personal pace. It's variable up to 4.1MPH so I called it personal pace.

I'm happy your TurfMaster is working flawlessly, I'll get there too I hope.

Lou

Ok if you want to check a couple of things set the mower on its side with the air filter up, look at the drive and there should be a Tension spring that runs from the front of the drive unit up to and attaches to the deck, see if it's there and in place. Also look at the drive belt itself it should be somewhat snug and do you have ant resistances on the control bar when you engage the drive.