Engine Toro Timecutter SS 4235 - Starter engages but won't turn engine

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Toro Timecutter SS 4235 - Starter engages but won't turn engine
The engine in the video was posted in 2015, i used the info which was posted Saturday. Another reason why I hate it when people hyjack threads and on top of that don’t post model and serial numbers. We both could be right and we both could be wrong.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
The engine in the video was posted in 2015, i used the info which was posted Saturday. Another reason why I hate it when people hyjack threads and on top of that don’t post model and serial numbers. We both could be right and we both could be wrong.
True

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well the model no. he posted I looked up and it showed a Kawasaki engine.

packardv8

Threads
Old thread, but if anyone comes looking, I just found a like-new starter off a Kohler engine on a 4235. PM me if it would help you.

jack vines

calvinc

Forum Newbie
Threads
A few months ago, I picked up a used Timecutter. The battery was dead, but after jump-starting the mower and running it for a while, it's started strong ever since. I've been mowing with it for about three months without any problems. About a week ago I turned it off and was away for a few minutes after which when I tried to start it up again it wouldn't. The starter sounds strong, but the engine itself won't even turn. Of course, I don't try for more than a few seconds at a time so as not to fry my starter. Seemingly at random, it suddenly turned the engine and it started right up. Ran fine for the rest of the day. It has now happened two more times and as I type, it is sitting in my yard with a tarp over it to keep it out of the rain. Due to weather, I haven't been able to step through as many troubleshooting steps as I'd like, but I was able to shoot a small video so you could hear it.

Oil level is good, though it could use a change. I think my power is good - I've added in my jump box with no discernible sound difference with or without it. This model will allow me to start it with no one sitting in the seat. It won't let you start it if the motion control levers aren't in the "park" position - you can hear the "safety" engage/disengage when they are moved, so I don't think that is the issue.

Appreciate any suggestions.

calvinc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you find a fix to the SS4235 Toro whirring sound video but no crank video, I am having exactly same problem, I do know that my solenoid is not good, but I was able to start with screw driver jumping starter, is it possible I affected the starter by jumping the solenoid?

packardv8

Threads
Did you find a fix to the SS4235 Toro whirring sound video but no crank video, I am having exactly same problem, I do know that my solenoid is not good, but I was able to start with screw driver jumping starter, is it possible I affected the starter by jumping the solenoid?
Probably not. The switch, wiring connectors, battery cables and the starter are all weak points on the Toro.

jack vines