Toro Timecutter MX 5050 intermittent no start. 2016 model

ronbo57

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro Timecutter MX 5050 intermittent no start. 2016 model
The problem I am having is the unit won't re-start if you stop it after mowing, and get back on to start. It acts as though the battery has not enough amperage to turn it over. Most times it will start the next day. But this week it took 3 days. Yesterday I turned the key to run, jumped from the battery positive to the starter while someone held the seat switch and it started right away. This morning I went out and it started no problem. I have replaced the brake box earlier this year as it was obviously bad as it was totally function-less. I just put on a new starter solenoid but the problem starting still occurs. It's almost as if the control voltage to the solenoid drops out on a whim. Anyone else experienced this problem?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi Ron
So "Won't restart" means won't crank ?
No cranks are usually a safety switch.
They are primative switches that do go bad over time.
Some times it is just dust some times it is burning.
The simpelist thing is to make 6 small jumpers with a blade on each end and bypass all of the cranking switches by jumping at the plugs .
If you still have no crank then you have a broken wire , they often crack where the terminal is crimped onto the wire so you get random work-don't work situations .
If you get reliable cranking with the jumpers then start removing them till the culprit is found
Jump B to S on key plug Saves you growing a 3rd hand
PTO plug
L & R lap bar plugs
Parking brake plug
Start relay

Toro hide their wiring diagram in the operators manuals .
Note the cranking solenoid is switched on the ground side and the power side .

ronbo57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Ron
So "Won't restart" means won't crank ?
No cranks are usually a safety switch.
They are primative switches that do go bad over time.
Some times it is just dust some times it is burning.
The simpelist thing is to make 6 small jumpers with a blade on each end and bypass all of the cranking switches by jumping at the plugs .
If you still have no crank then you have a broken wire , they often crack where the terminal is crimped onto the wire so you get random work-don't work situations .
If you get reliable cranking with the jumpers then start removing them till the culprit is found
Jump B to S on key plug Saves you growing a 3rd hand
PTO plug
L & R lap bar plugs
Parking brake plug
Start relay

Toro hide their wiring diagram in the operators manuals .
Note the cranking solenoid is switched on the ground side and the power side .
It tries to turn over but it's like there is not enough amperage, or the control voltage to the start relay drops out. I'll check plugs and clean. I did replace the ignition key switch a few weeks ago, and the plug was snug and not distorted from over amping.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it turns 1.5 revolutions then stops and you can force it over compression then it does the same thing on the starter then the decompressor is not working
Usually this will be because the valve lash is too big
After decompression has been ruled out then it is electrics

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with Bert.

JoeDofThompson

Forum Newbie
Threads
It tries to turn over but it's like there is not enough amperage, or the control voltage to the start relay drops out. I'll check plugs and clean. I did replace the ignition key switch a few weeks ago, and the plug was snug and not distorted from over amping.
Did you resolve the problem? What was it? I have the same mower and am having the same problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well answer the same question
Does it stop at 1.5 turns ?