Toro only starts with gas drip directly into carb - NOT without. Hot or cold.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Toro only starts with gas drip directly into carb - NOT without. Hot or cold.
my Toro (2006) has always been hard starting since new until i changed how I started it. Prime it with the bulb if you have one the number of primes marked on the unit. Pull the rope slowly until you feel resistance then pull hard. If the resistance is too late in the pull, leave it there, let the rope in and then pull hard. Whereas it might take 10 tries before, now it starts on the first pull each time.

juicer

Threads
  • / Toro only starts with gas drip directly into carb - NOT without. Hot or cold.
OK got it. I will set it richer AND leaner.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Setting the float on the lean side will make for harder starting. Been sett it my way for the last 15 years and customers love the easier starting. I’ve never had a problem with any carbon buildup, as long as I don’t go too rich.
You are mostly a fixer, not a user like me. Richer will start easier, agreed. Even carbs with flat float settings will over time carbon up the cylinder. Think most engine manuals say like every 5 years, pull head and clean valves.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK got it. I will set it richer AND leaner.
Set the float flat or level with carb body. Get your choke working proper.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
“ Think most engine manuals say like every 5 years, pull head and clean valves.” This is something I’ve never seen or heard. Personally I wouldn’t do this on my own equipment or charge a customer for unless there is some other reason to pull the head.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless the engine has been flooding or the rings are bad I am yet to find a mower engine that needs a decoke apart from 2 strokes and they get cleaned out with a water pistol .

juicer

Threads
This carb is such a pain to remove. Will work on it in a day or so. Appreciate all the suggestions.
Hold my ankles, I'm going in.

juicer

Threads
Thanks for the suggestions. 2 weeks recovering from bulging disc in back. Ordered ebay carb Tecumseh 640303 for ~$8 slapped it on and starts right up.
Will get down and dirty when the back is more betterer and I have time to clean the original.
I picked this mower up free on CL so I am not familiar with its normal running sound. Engine seems to be running at high rpm according to my tachometer ear.
Is there a preferred rpm for this engine?
Just adjust it down with idle screw and play this fiddle by ear?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most Tecumseh engines should be set at 3200-3400 RPMs. This engine has a fixed speed setup, so adjustments are made by adjusting the governor control. Most ears are not calibrated close enough to do this.

juicer

Threads
Just tore into the old, genuine carb and removed the emulsion tube. The two o rings are shot.
That might 'splain the issue.
eBay has the 2 o rings shipped for about half the price of what I paid for the whole replacement carb.
Is there a spec on those o rings so i can buy locally or source from my Horror Freight collection?

Last edited: