Toro 3000 or Exmark Pioneer S

captbenjy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, first post here. Seems like a great site from my reading so far with some knowledgeable people. I have a dilemma on which mower I want to buy. I'm looking at 2 right now. One is a Toro 3000 series, 48" deck with a 20hp. kawasaki. The other is a Exmark Pioneer S-series, 48" deck with a 20.5hp kawasaki. After doing some research it seems the Toros engine is more like a 19hp and for some reason Toro looks to be doing away with this model as I can get it on sale. The same mower with the same motor as the Exmark is like $900 more. Just a little nervous that maybe the mower is underpowered and they realized they made a mistake. Anyone running a toro 3000 series model: 74951? Any input on these would be appreciated though. Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We are a Toro dealer and I have not that Toro is discontinuing the 74951 model. Maybe your dealership know something we don't. Toro has nothing to do with Kawasaki engines, don't know why or where you found that a 20hp engine is only 19hp. Kawasaki would not do that to just one company they supply. Both units are very good, but I would go with the Toro, as down the road it will be far easier and cheaper on upkeep and repair.

captbenjy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I actually found the hp ratings myself for that engine. Something to do with the new class of ratings Kawasaki is using. When you go to Toros website and try to compare the 3000 series mowers the 74951 doesn't even come up. It starts with the 74952 for some reason. Since you're a dealer, have you dealt with the 74951? Any complaints or concerns?

My concern was that between the two 48" 3000 series mowers supposedly there is only a 1/2 hp difference but when you pull up the engine on Kawasakis site there is like 8 ft lbs of torque difference. First thing the dealer asked me was wether I was going to be mulching. When I told him no, he says OH you SHOULD be fine.

captbenjy

Forum Newbie
Threads
74951 comes with the FX600V. On Kawpowr.com it is rated at 19hp, and 32.5 ft lbs of torque.

74952 and the Pioneer S comes with the FX651V. On Kawpower.com it is rated at 20.5hp, and 39 ft lbs of torque.

Toro still rates the 74951 at 20 hp. Don't know how much that difference will matter to me.:confused2:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That's probably the change they made, explaining the change inn model numbers. Doubt you will even notice the difference. Both engines are good.

captbenjy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sure hope so as I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the Toro soon. Price given is $6399 for the Toro which is much better than the $7299 for the 74952 model.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That's a great price. My guess your dealer is just closing them out for the season to make room for next years models. Check the serial number, if it starts with 312 it is a 2012 model, if it starts with 311 it is a 2011 model that he really wants to get off his loan program. In that case offer $200 less and see what happens. Don't feel that you can go wrong at that price. Enjoy.

captbenjy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the tip. I'll be giving him a call in the morning to find that info out.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Let us know what you find out. Make sure you are comfortable with the dealer. I say this because we have a dealer in this area who under cuts our prices by 10%, but is terrible at after sale service. Makes us all look bad. Make sure that the price includes full set up. A good dealer will include this.

captbenjy

Forum Newbie
Threads
The dealer is supposed to be one of the largest in the New Orleans area with two locations. Heard good things about them, but have never dealt with them myself. Only dealers in my small town about an hour away is Exmark and Scag. The Scag dealer I'd never buy from, but have heard many good things about the Exmark dealer. That and the fact that he's like 3 miles away are the main reasons I was looking at the Pioneer mower.

On that note, as a dealer how do you feel about people buying equipment elsewhere and then bringing it to you for service? It's not something I prefer to do but the nearest Toro dealer to me (12-15 miles) is high as hell. They're more of a hardware store also, but do service mowers there. The closest thing they had in my price range that I was interested in was the 2000 series which they wanted alot more for also. I'm pretty handy as I'm a supply boat captain and have worked around engines and hydraulics for a long time so I hope to do most of my actual maintenance myself but warranty issues do sometimes arise.