Walk behind TORO 22" Recycler Self-Propel works on smooth surface, not slopes or taller grass

SSBN625

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / TORO 22" Recycler Self-Propel works on smooth surface, not slopes or taller grass
TORO 22" Recycler Self-Propel works on smooth surface, not slopes or taller grass

My faithful 10 year old walk behind (TORO 22" Recycler, Model 20016) seems to have gotten weaker in its old age. The wheels spin when engaged, and the mower moves forward on a smooth surface, and through grass of moderate height. However, on a slope and/or somewhat taller grass it bogs down and I have to push---much more so than it used to do. I replaced the transmission assembly in the early spring, and everything worked great, but this weakness is new, and I'm puzzled. I installed a new drive belt today, thinking that the old one may have been slipping, but the problem continues. Can anyone help, please?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / TORO 22" Recycler Self-Propel works on smooth surface, not slopes or taller grass
My faithful 10 year old walk behind (TORO 22" Recycler, Model 20016) seems to have gotten weaker in its old age. The wheels spin when engaged, and the mower moves forward on a smooth surface, and through grass of moderate height. However, on a slope and/or somewhat taller grass it bogs down and I have to push---much more so than it used to do. I replaced the transmission assembly in the early spring, and everything worked great, but this weakness is new, and I'm puzzled. I installed a new drive belt today, thinking that the old one may have been slipping, but the problem continues. Can anyone help, please?

Does the engine bog down?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: TORO 22" Recycler Self-Propel works on smooth surface, not slopes or taller grass

Have you tried adjusting the tension on the drive cable. Loosen the nut on the left hand handle rod, pull the cable down about 1/2" and tighten.

SSBN625

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: TORO 22" Recycler Self-Propel works on smooth surface, not slopes or taller grass

Does the engine bog down?
No, the engine keeps chugging, but not the drive.

SSBN625

Forum Newbie
Threads

Have you tried adjusting the tension on the drive cable. Loosen the nut on the left hand handle rod, pull the cable down about 1/2" and tighten.
Rivets, Thanks, didn't think of that. Unfortunately, however, the problem's still there. Also, I just removed both front wheels to check the plastic gear teeth, and (as an untrained homeowner) saw no unusual wear. And both front wheels have been replaced at least one time during the 10 year life of the mower. Thanks again for your suggestion.

andy135

Threads

Rivets, Thanks, didn't think of that. Unfortunately, however, the problem's still there. Also, I just removed both front wheels to check the plastic gear teeth, and (as an untrained homeowner) saw no unusual wear. And both front wheels have been replaced at least one time during the 10 year life of the mower. Thanks again for your suggestion.

On the front axle there is a driving gear each side which connect to the wheel gear. Behind this driving gear is a pawl and small spring that fit into the slot of the drive axle. This spring loaded pawl have to be extended to drive the wheel forward and compress when pulling backward. Somewhat like the flywheel of the bicycle wheels. It also make turning the mower easier. Check this area the tiny spring can be weak or dirty. Make sure the pawl not worn and move freely,in my opinion no grease only light oil. Hope this help.

dfwchief

Threads

There's a pulley on the drive shaft, and another one on the rear drive unit. Those will wear to the point they don't grip the belt, and no amount of adjusting will overcome it. The one on the engine shaft is easy to replace. The one on the back might be part of the drive mechanism, and you'd have to replace the whole thing. You can find them for $50 on EBay. Check a parts diagram for your mower to see if that rear pulley is replaceable by itself.

andy135

Threads

There's a pulley on the drive shaft, and another one on the rear drive unit. Those will wear to the point they don't grip the belt, and no amount of adjusting will overcome it. The one on the engine shaft is easy to replace. The one on the back might be part of the drive mechanism, and you'd have to replace the whole thing. You can find them for $50 on EBay. Check a parts diagram for your mower to see if that rear pulley is replaceable by itself.

Can't imagine a belt can wear down a metal pulley. It is always a stretch or worn belt that need to be replaced.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can't imagine a belt can wear down a metal pulley. It is always a stretch or worn belt that need to be replaced.

Pulleys wear down more than people would think they do.
I belt does not stretch it wears down and sits deeper in the pulley making the belt loose.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

dfwchief

Threads

The belts slip constantly, that's how the speed is adjusted. There is a ton of grit kicked up from the lawn that's ground between the pulley and belt. The pulley and belt are V-shaped. After 10 years, which the OP states, the pulley grooves will have gone from V-shape to straight, and even a new tight belt won't get traction. As the previous post said, the belt will not stretch.