I tried a compression check 0 no compression. I was attempting to pull the head and the middle bottom bolt had oil on it. Don't think that's normal. When that happened is stopped and didn't remove the head.
What model is the engine? How old is it? How did you do the compression test? Sounds like it is a flathead engine around 20 years old. Try to remove the cylinder head and look at the valves, etc.I tried a compression check 0 no compression. I was attempting to pull the head and the middle bottom bolt had oil on it. Don't think that's normal. When that happened is stopped and didn't remove the head.

My older B&S Service Manual lists the head bolt torque at 140 Inch pounds for 6B through 130000 aluminum engines.Took the head off and cleaned the head and top of the block off. With a plastic scraper and starting fluid. I am replacing the head gasket and I need to know the torque sequence and how many pounds to torque the bolts. Its a 126T07 4226-B1.
Thanks for your help.