Export thread

Tools you didn’t know you needed!

R

Rivets

Was at the deer shack two weeks ago and the land owner and I got to talking about tools and toolbox’s, don’t ask why. We both were born before the 50’s. What came up was we both had tools in our boxes that don’t make sense until you need it. So I decided I would post a few pics of odd tools in my box that most of the younger mechanics have no clue what they are. Each and every one of them has been used at least once in the last two years and many will get used at least once a week. If you don’t know what they are, I’ll try to explain. Many are not sold any more, but you will find them at flea markets and thrift stores. I’ve got more, but I’m sure a few of you old guys have others in your boxes. You young guys need to keep your eyes open, as not one cost me more than $5, except for the micro drills.
1607113271244.jpeg 1607113409253.jpeg1607113312320.jpeg
1607113363165.jpeg 1607113462395.jpeg 1607113498379.jpeg

D

deminin

I have, and recognize, most of the tools in your pictures. I have a massive tool chest in my garage, and a good collection of frequently used tools in my tractor/yardwork shed. I worked in electronics, my entire career, and have maintained my own vehicles since I started driving decades ago. When I pass, my family will have a field day going through all my "stuff", and will probably have a huge auction to get rid of most of it.

R

Rivets

Had two PM’s about the hooked items in pic #1 and large bolt in pic #2. The hooked items are called rifflers, or tool maker files. The large bolt is the tool I made to level decks. You set it under the blade tip, adjust the bolt until it just touches the tip and then compare this height to the tip of the blade on the other side of the deck. When both are the same your deck is level.

upupandaway

upupandaway

I'm with Deminin - I use everything in the pics. Pics, punch, nut splitter, etc, nothing new. If anything, i own a manual drill- crank and all along with a "pedal" powered sewing machine.

Except for the golf tees - i use longer tees now adays. The clubs i use might belong in the pic - 70's irons 80's woods.

R

Rivets

I have a post drive like this one. Replaced the handle with a square socket and ratchet wrench, plus mine is not in that condition.
1607120691055.jpeg

R

Rivets

Star, go to your dentist and barter for some dental picks. Probably the most used of everything pictured.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I have, and recognize, most of the tools in your pictures. I have a massive tool chest in my garage, and a good collection of frequently used tools in my tractor/yardwork shed. I worked in electronics, my entire career, and have maintained my own vehicles since I started driving decades ago. When I pass, my family will have a field day going through all my "stuff", and will probably have a huge auction to get rid of most of it.

I've been to those kind of sales. It's fun getting things dirt cheap. But I imagine the man who owned the stuff I bought was rolling over in his grave. lol

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

This comes in handy........occasionally
maxresdefault.jpg

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

This comes in handy........occasionally
maxresdefault.jpg

Where can I get a better one of these? Sometimes I think mine came from HF.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Where can I get a better one of these? Sometimes I think mine came from HF.
Northern Tool might have one.
Snap on and Cornwell sells some but they're pricey.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Northern Tool might have one.
Snap on and Cornwell sells some but they're pricey.

I'd like at least a 20v rechargeable. And it needs to be portable one. lol

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I think i need warranty work on mine

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I wasn't born to just work and pay bills. Was I?

B

bertsmobile1

Oh boy it is fun getting old.

Yes but it is definately better than the alternative.

Been there 3 times, no great hurry to make it 4 .
Am getting old & not sure I could come back again.

Sorry to hear about the strokes.
Got a riding buddy who just gets his strength up sufficient to go for a ride, then has another

B

bertsmobile1

Actually per the government it was just so you could pay taxes. And prefer for us old folks just die before collecting any Social Security, Medicare or any other they have to pay out. They wants us to finance their golf trips and parties.
Wasn't that the logic behind ignoring the Covid outbreak ?
Seems to be working really well over there .

(snip)
Except for the golf tees - i use longer tees now adays. The clubs i use might belong in the pic - 70's irons 80's woods.

Golf "T" s make perfect vacuum hose plugs, when testing things, least that is one I use mine for, among other things. .

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

1607357731132.jpg
Still have my sears automotive diagnostic kit i got for my 15th birthday. Stuff still works too. And some odds and ends in the toolbox.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

i bet its alot better quality than what you can get today too.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Yeah, back when stuff from sears was quality. The noninductive timing light was before high energy ignitions. First time i used it on a GM HEI ignition it lit me up like a christmas tree. Works great on small engines and chainsaws. Not so much on cars.

R

Rivets

Hammer, Old Farts must think alike. I’ve got the same Sears stuff and yes it still works. The only two things I can’t figure out is how to use the oil can spouts on the plastic bottles and what to use the burnishing tools on.

I'm a member of the Old Farts club, so I still have some vintage Sears stuff....

As well as my Dad's Compression gauge & Vacuum gauge with paperwork dated 1942, when he was in the Army motor pool.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Hammer, Old Farts must think alike. I’ve got the same Sears stuff and yes it still works. The only two things I can’t figure out is how to use the oil can spouts on the plastic bottles and what to use the burnishing tools on.
Silly question
1607615493651.jpg

B

Born2Mow

British Whitworth wrench set. Just in case you run across a lawn mower with a Rolls Royce engine...

1i3Kpunh.jpg

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

British Whitworth wrench set. Just in case you run across a lawn mower with a Rolls Royce engine...

1i3Kpunh.jpg
tally ho!

cpurvis

cpurvis

1i3Kpunh.jpg

Or a '64 Triumph motorcycle.