Tools you didn’t know you needed!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Was at the deer shack two weeks ago and the land owner and I got to talking about tools and toolbox’s, don’t ask why. We both were born before the 50’s. What came up was we both had tools in our boxes that don’t make sense until you need it. So I decided I would post a few pics of odd tools in my box that most of the younger mechanics have no clue what they are. Each and every one of them has been used at least once in the last two years and many will get used at least once a week. If you don’t know what they are, I’ll try to explain. Many are not sold any more, but you will find them at flea markets and thrift stores. I’ve got more, but I’m sure a few of you old guys have others in your boxes. You young guys need to keep your eyes open, as not one cost me more than $5, except for the micro drills.
1607113271244.jpeg 1607113409253.jpeg1607113312320.jpeg
1607113363165.jpeg 1607113462395.jpeg 1607113498379.jpeg

deminin

Threads
I have, and recognize, most of the tools in your pictures. I have a massive tool chest in my garage, and a good collection of frequently used tools in my tractor/yardwork shed. I worked in electronics, my entire career, and have maintained my own vehicles since I started driving decades ago. When I pass, my family will have a field day going through all my "stuff", and will probably have a huge auction to get rid of most of it.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Had two PM’s about the hooked items in pic #1 and large bolt in pic #2. The hooked items are called rifflers, or tool maker files. The large bolt is the tool I made to level decks. You set it under the blade tip, adjust the bolt until it just touches the tip and then compare this height to the tip of the blade on the other side of the deck. When both are the same your deck is level.

upupandaway

Threads
I'm with Deminin - I use everything in the pics. Pics, punch, nut splitter, etc, nothing new. If anything, i own a manual drill- crank and all along with a "pedal" powered sewing machine.

Except for the golf tees - i use longer tees now adays. The clubs i use might belong in the pic - 70's irons 80's woods.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a post drive like this one. Replaced the handle with a square socket and ratchet wrench, plus mine is not in that condition.
1607120691055.jpeg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Star, go to your dentist and barter for some dental picks. Probably the most used of everything pictured.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have, and recognize, most of the tools in your pictures. I have a massive tool chest in my garage, and a good collection of frequently used tools in my tractor/yardwork shed. I worked in electronics, my entire career, and have maintained my own vehicles since I started driving decades ago. When I pass, my family will have a field day going through all my "stuff", and will probably have a huge auction to get rid of most of it.

I've been to those kind of sales. It's fun getting things dirt cheap. But I imagine the man who owned the stuff I bought was rolling over in his grave. lol

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
This comes in handy........occasionally
maxresdefault.jpg