Too much compression?

Tommy Mckeown

Threads
Crap. That does sound exactly like what its doing.
Some people have just used 2 head gaskets on the head with a little more torque down. This while lowering the overall compression seems to allow the starter to spin the motor to start.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I had this cam/ACR issue a while back. A "hack" I learned was if you just have to get the Briggs running to mow,covering the intake at the carb will not allow air into the engine and the engine will turn over fast enough to start as soon as you remove your carb covering. I used a piece of rubber I cut from an old floor mat. Hey,I did say it was a hack,but it does work. LOL!
But does anyone want a piece or several bouncing around in the engine doing all kinds of damage?

SamB

Threads
But does anyone want a piece or several bouncing around in the engine doing all kinds of damage?
You are so right. Answer is..absolutely not! I took the bottom end off and removed the pieces while waiting for a replacement cam. I thought it best to not go with a used or an aftermarket cam,so there was some wait time. The grass didn't wait.. Not a difficult job.

Last edited:

jamesds016

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a poulan pro riding mower with a briggs and Stratton 19hp ohv engine. The battery us fully charged, the starter is brand new, I've checked the valve lash and made sure they are moving. Compression still stops the crank. Any ideas?
The acr is on the exhaust side of the cam. And they do have common failure rather frequently.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The acr is on the exhaust side of the cam. And they do have common failure rather frequently.
Incorrect. The briggs single cylinder OHV Intek style engine has a cross flow head and the intake is on the bottom of the head which is were the ACR is located.

FLRMAN

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could it be a flywheel key sheared a little? I just repaired a push mower engine that was almost impossible to pull start. When it did turn over it fired and yanked the pull cord back. About broke my arm and it was only a 6.5 hp. I can't imagine a starter on a bigger engine being able to turn it over. Just a thought.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What happened to the OP? Comes here asking for help then leaves. No hugs either LOL.

slomo

jamesds016

Forum Newbie
Threads
Incorrect. The briggs single cylinder OHV Intek style engine has a cross flow head and the intake is on the bottom of the head which is were the ACR is located.
Sir you are wrong I’ve been to many schools and replaced many of these so unless you have a picture to prove your correct then you are not.

jamesds016

Forum Newbie
Threads
Incorrect. The briggs single cylinder OHV Intek style engine has a cross flow head and the intake is on the bottom of the head which is were the ACR is

I do stand corrected. There is only 1 Briggs engine where the release is on the intake and it is a 19hp single cylinder engine that does have a common issue with the compression release failing.