Too hot to mow

X-man

Threads
Do you ever have days where you decide that it is just way too hot to cut grass? Like for example, if it's 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

And also when it is hot, what do you do to help stay cool?

Nwatson99

Threads
Yes I have not mowed due to the heat, I stay indoors as much as possible, bad heat triggers migraines now so you can call me a AC type of guy.
A former neighbor of mine 1.1 miles from us had a mowing company in 2012 "we had two droughts that year" kill her lawn, those guys mowed every week with her grass brown and dying.
Wife and I drove by there one early afternoon when they were mowing and saw them just throwing dried burn grass and dust, later that afternoon we saw the former neighbor at the country store by our homes and she asked how much we were mowing, I told her that month "beginning 3rd week of June" I had only mowed once that month due to the drought and she said you think the mowing company is hurting my yard? I told her they are not hurting it, but they have killed it.
She sold her home after dropping the price quite a bit, I am telling you guys her yard was down right sickening to look at and to this day even with the wet summer we had last year and the wet spring thus far this year her yard is still not 100% from 2012.

clpolcar

Threads
Jobs got to get done. I usually wear shorts and a light tee shirt. Then drink plenty of water. And keep a ice water chest and a towel in it to put on your neck

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you ever have days where you decide that it is just way too hot to cut grass? Like for example, if it's 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

And also when it is hot, what do you do to help stay cool?

If I decided not to cut grass because of the heat I wouldn't be in business long. Your example of 100 degree heat would be great to work in here but the problem is you have to add 80 to 90% humidity to that. With all the humidity we have the grass doesn't stop growing. At the moment 7:30am it's 77 degrees in the sun with 80% humidity and the lawns are soaked just like it rained last night. To stay reasonably cool it's called Cargo shorts, sneakers and nothing but water.

Nwatson99

Threads
Jobs got to get done. I usually wear shorts and a light tee shirt. Then drink plenty of water. And keep a ice water chest and a towel in it to put on your neck

Yes sir you are 100% correct on that, I was speaking from personal mowing only since I am not a company like most of you are.
If I was able, yes I would like to be since I do not mind mowing at all, rather enjoy it being outside just mowing and enjoying the day.

bturner032002

Threads
If I decided not to cut grass because of the heat I wouldn't be in business long. Your example of 100 degree heat would be great to work in here but the problem is you have to add 80 to 90% humidity to that. With all the humidity we have the grass doesn't stop growing. At the moment 7:30am it's 77 degrees in the sun with 80% humidity and the lawns are soaked just like it rained last night. To stay reasonably cool it's called Cargo shorts, sneakers and nothing but water.

Thisssss. You just dont know what heat is until you've experienced the high humidity on a 100 degree day in the southeast.

X-man

Threads
Thisssss. You just dont know what heat is until you've experienced the high humidity on a 100 degree day in the southeast.

Back when I was in Iowa City, every summer day was a humid 90 degree day. It was either get used to it or move up north.

I usually mow in the heat, but there are days where it is so damn hot that I have no choice but to take the afternoon off.

edd

Threads
south alabama gets hot and humid......you just have to deal with it......dont sit down on the mower seat too fast or you will burn your legs

X-man

Threads
south alabama gets hot and humid......you just have to deal with it......dont sit down on the mower seat too fast or you will burn your legs

I cover my seat with a towel to avoid that.

buzzzmeister

Threads

I operate steam dryers primarily producing instantized corn grits. I work in an uninsulated/non-air conditioned steel building and summertime temperatures where the dryers are located often approach 175ºF. And did I mention I work in steam?

100º and 'high humidity' and I don't even begin to break a sweat. :laughing:

Drink lots-o-water. 'Tis nothing to drink 5 gallons worth per shift when it starts to get really warm.