Too good to be true??

Mecha One

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok so here is the short version. I have the option to buy a Honda mower/tractor with two stage snowblower for $100. I haven't had the chance to look at it yet, so I don't know what model, or how old. I was told its a newer one. I was told that it runs well, but has a anti-freeze smell. At this price I realie the anti-freeze problem could be anything from a blown head gasket to a warped/cracked head. Now, I have worked on plenty of cars, and a few air cooled lawn mowers. Never had any experiance with a water cooled mower. When I go look at this machine where and what should I look for to let me know whats going on? If the head gasket is blown I feel thats an easy enough fix. But what if the head is warped? Or worse cracked? Is it still worth it for $100? My gut tells me yes since the snow blower should be easily worth $100 by itself. Just looking for advice before I head into this venture. I don't mind spending a bit more money and some wrench time. I just don't wanna buy a $100 metal brick.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
at that price ... HOW could you go wrong???
Welcome to LMF... post back with what you find. :smile:KennyV

indypower

Threads
For $100, you could part it out if needed and make lots of $$$$$$

BGC

Threads
For $100, you could part it out if needed and make lots of $$$$$$

Indypower is absolutely right. I have come across deals like this and been really lucky when it came to repairs and such. I think you should definitely go for it.

Kryten

Threads
Especially since you say you have some experience with fixing cars, then this shouldn't be a hard thing at all. Sounds like you have yourself a huge bargain there, well done!

Mecha One

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cool guys, thanks for the response. When I heard about the deal I told the guy that I was interested but had to ask my wife. She even suggested that worse case I part it out, which I am not a stranger to as I did it with a Jeep I used to own. However, I was talking to a few people I knew telling them about the deal, and the last person told me it might be a warped head and that it was probably worthless and I shouldn't get it. So I started to worry a bit about buying this. Now I just gotta wait till Thursday unfortunatly. The guy who told me about the deal doesn't stop by work until Thursday, and I am not sure if there is a way to contact him any sooner. If there is then earliest will be Tuesday. I wil keep you guys updated. Hopefully soon I will have a new toy to play with.

Mecha One

Forum Newbie
Threads
Oh and by the way, I remember now he told me it was a bagger, or it had a bagger on it. Based on that knowledge is there anyway to narrow down the possiable model? Its not important but I am curious.

jenkinsph

Threads
If this lawn tractor is a water cooled model and everything else is in decent condition it is worth more than a $100 for sure. I would look at it to make sure it hasn't been run over by a dump truck and otherwise I would buy it.

Of the approximately 14 models that Honda has made six of them are water cooled even as small as 13 hp models.
Possibilities are,
H4514 14hp gas
H4518 18hp gas
H5518 18hp gas
6522 22hp diesel
HT3813 13hp gas
HT4213 13hp gas

Last edited: