To blow or not to blow......

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ever since we published Valvoline 20W-50 VR1 Synthetic Engine Oil review, we have received a lot of emails about the oil’s performance in regular cars. If you are enticed by the “Racing” label and plan on using the oil for your daily use car, don’t do it. Just don’t. Period.
Okay, since it says racing oil on the product packaging, people believe that the oil will bestow some kind of magical properties on regular car engines. If you are under the impression that Valvoline VR1 will act like Red Bull for your family car, then it’s not going to happen. At best, the engine oil will cease to perform and acquire the shape of solid sludge. As a result, the car engine’s RPM will be affected to a great extent.
Alternatively, if you own a street-legal variant of a racing car, then go for the gray-colored bottle of Valvoline VR1 engine oil. This product description on this bottle mentions that the oil can be used on street-legal sports/ race cars for up to 3,000 Miles between average oil change intervals.
I don't think that is what I want to run in my hydros.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
MParr- thanks for the 411.

I have 5 year warranty. So we shall see..
$28.99 for 5 qt jug of VR1 (Gray bottle), just slightly higher priced than the Kaw branded semi oil.

I do not intend to swap to full synthetic for my hydros, as the VR1 in black bottle is. I believe.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ever since we published Valvoline 20W-50 VR1 Synthetic Engine Oil review, we have received a lot of emails about the oil’s performance in regular cars. If you are enticed by the “Racing” label and plan on using the oil for your daily use car, don’t do it. Just don’t. Period.
Okay, since it says racing oil on the product packaging, people believe that the oil will bestow some kind of magical properties on regular car engines. If you are under the impression that Valvoline VR1 will act like Red Bull for your family car, then it’s not going to
happen. At best, the engine oil will cease to perform and acquire the shape of solid sludge. As a result, the car engine’s RPM will be
affected to a great extent.
Alternatively, if you own a street-legal variant of a racing car, then go for the gray-colored bottle of Valvoline VR1 engine oil. This product description on this bottle mentions that the oil can be used on street-legal sports/ race cars for up to 3,000 Miles between average oil change intervals.
I was specifically talking about the hydros.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
MParr- thanks for the 411.

I have 5 year warranty. So we shall see..
$28.99 for 5 qt jug of VR1 (Gray bottle), just slightly higher priced than the Kaw branded semi oil.

I do not intend to swap to full synthetic for my hydros, as the VR1 in black bottle is. I believe.
I was talking about the hydros. Yes, the gray bottle is conventional and perfectly fine for the hydros.
The VR-1 full synthetic is in the black bottle.
Here’s the product data sheet for the VR-1 Conventional

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes Hydros.. I will study the properties.

VR1 (gray bottle) has more zinc & phosphorus than the T4 Rotella 15w-40 has, I used to use that for the engine in my Toro.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll have to look & compare that to the Rotella.

I'm sticking to the Kawasaki brand oil, for now, & since I have some.