To blow or not to blow......

BTBO

Threads
I have a Liberty Z 48" with the ZT 2800 Hydro Gears. I will soon be draining the oil from the Hydros, which I understand can take as long as 2-3 hours. I was thinking to speed up the process, I may try to use my Shop Vac as a blower into the reservoir, but am concerned about damaging any seals or other sensitive parts. Any thoughts are appreciated.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Liberty Z 48" with the ZT 2800 Hydro Gears. I will soon be draining the oil from the Hydros, which I understand can take as long as 2-3 hours. I was thinking to speed up the process, I may try to use my Shop Vac as a blower into the reservoir, but am concerned about damaging any seals or other sensitive parts. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Do not blow them out. When you get the filter off, it will drain out pretty quick.
It doesn’t take that long to drain them. It takes longer to fill them.
You can pump the oil in on the inside fill plugs to speed up the process. That can be a bit messy, if you’re not prepared.

BTBO

Threads
Do not blow them out. When you get the filter off, it will drain out pretty quick.
It doesn’t take that long to drain them. It takes longer to fill them.
You can pump the oil in on the inside fill plugs to speed up the process. That can be a bit messy, if you’re not prepared.
Thanks MParr--I saw the same video. I know Scag sells a fill kit with a pump that connects to a quart jug. If it's not too costly, I may go that route, and refill with Amsoil synthetic hydro oil.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks MParr--I saw the same video. I know Scag sells a fill kit with a pump that connects to a quart jug. If it's not too costly, I may go that route, and refill with Amsoil synthetic hydro oil.
Any 20W50 will work. I like to use a 20W50 with high zinc additives.Some people like to use Mobil 1 15W50. A 5 quart jug should be all you need. Each hydro holds about 73 ounces. You can buy the pumps on Amazon, EBay and etc.

Gcorron

Threads
Nice!! My dealer told me that Scag did not do manuals anymore, everything was online!

George

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nice!! My dealer told me that Scag did not do manuals anymore, everything was online!

George

George- I think you got BS'd, at least I got all my manuals when I got my 2021 Liberty, in May. Even 2 T-shirts ..

And as Scag reps stated on an online you-tube meeting, if one does use a Full Synthetic 20w-50, they should do it Early, & NEVER use anything else after the switch.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Like MParr said.Screw the filters off and drains pretty quick. I watched the video and it was a pretty good video. But it looks like the guy had a death wish. If I were doing it like that I would use jack stands. I am luck in that we have a lift. That is the way I do them at works does not take 2 to 3 hours. Any time you open up a hydro clean the area around the opening first. I use the Kawasaki 20W-50 engine oil. High zinc and high heat oil.
Zinc-based hydraulic oil is widely used for a number of reasons. Under boundary conditions, a sacrificial layer of anti-wear additive (typically zinc-based) is established on the load-bearing surface of machine components to help protect against the results of friction. Anti-wear additives are most effective in moderate to severe load applications.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The latest offerings for Liberty have no expansion tank. It has a fill cap on top of each wheel motor. So that makes it simpler yet.
And I'll be using Kawasaki 20w-50 semi for my pumps @ 50 hours. Instead of the books listing of 1st 100 hours. Kinda like the early engine oil change.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The latest offerings for Liberty have no expansion tank. It has a fill cap on top of each wheel motor. So that makes it simpler yet.
And I'll be using Kawasaki 20w-50 semi for my pumps @ 50 hours. Instead of the books listing of 1st 100 hours. Kinda like the early engine oil change.
Valvoline VR1 20W50 is loaded with ZDDP.