Tires and wheels

chillen_chris

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2020 maverick 60 in cut I was wondering if either buying bigger tires was ok cause $270 for 1 tire is crazy. Or can I replace the rim with a more common size with no issues? Has any one done this?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mower tyres are very slow moving stock , bulky and go off in storage
That makes them expensive to supply as replacement parts
Being made in short production runs makes them even more expensive .
So those prices are quite reasonable
If you change to a different brand let alone size then both must be replaced or you throw the mower out of level .
ATV & Quad bike tyres are usually less expensive as there are fewer sizes so they get made in larger production runs and they are replaced a lot more often then mower tyres.
Shops that sell a lot of off road tyres will also have lower prices
Down side is ATV tyres have more aggressive threads so require a lot more care when turning to avoid ripping up the grass .

chillen_chris

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower tyres are very slow moving stock , bulky and go off in storage
That makes them expensive to supply as replacement parts
Being made in short production runs makes them even more expensive .
So those prices are quite reasonable
If you change to a different brand let alone size then both must be replaced or you throw the mower out of level .
ATV & Quad bike tyres are usually less expensive as there are fewer sizes so they get made in larger production runs and they are replaced a lot more often then mower tyres.
Shops that sell a lot of off road tyres will also have lower prices
Down side is ATV tyres have more aggressive threads so require a lot more care when turning to avoid ripping up the grass .
Thank you for the advice. I will probably buy new wheels to get a more affordable tire. I can get a full set for 175.00 that would give me 2 extra tires.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Replacing rear tires on riding mowers can be a headache. Sometimes, buying the exact same tire brand and size won’t match the circumference of the existing good tire. Going to another brand of the same marked size can be a little worse. Some people buy rear tires in pairs. Filling the new tire at maximum rated pressure and leaving in the sun for a couple of hours can help in matching.
Look around and weigh out your options.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is probably why I tube more tires than I sell new tires.

One note here. The Carlisle 24x12.00-12 tires don't like the Carlisle 24/26x12.00-12 tubes. It is necessary to install the 321370 tubes as the 321050 tube folds up in the tires then they rub holes in the tubes. Which tubes are not patchable due how the holes are worn into the tubes.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you for the advice. I will probably buy new wheels to get a more affordable tire. I can get a full set for 175.00 that would give me 2 extra tires.
You can probably buy 2 new tires that will work fine. Golf cart tires. ATV tires. Kenda or Carlisle turf tires should run about $90 to $120 each.
Those Bad Boy Reaper tires are pretty expensive.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
23/11.00-12
You can fit a 23x10.5-12 easily. A 4 ply rating at minimum. The Bad Boy Reaper tires are a specialty item. Toro and Hustler have similar tires. Bad Boy and their dealers would love for you to buy exact replacements.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the tire salvageable? Can the tire be patched and a tube be put in?