Timing Belt GVC 160 Model 917

graybeard47

Forum Newbie
Threads
This was posted on 10/01 titled:

GVC 160 Model 917.376542 Now Will Not Start ( It started just fine again on the 1st pull of the pull cord for about 8 months after a good cleaning with CHEM-DIP solution)​

I received a reply to replace the spark plug with the same results: As before----"any pull on the start cord results in a couple of pops out of the exhaust."

Before chasing parts one by one, I would like to determine if the timing belt has broken. I do not know what the signs are that in fact it is. What are the steps to at access it for a peek at it.
Forum thoughts as to this direction.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Nor so simple to check. First you need the piston at TDC compression stroke. Then you remove the rocker cover to check the timing. Note the rocker is held on with RTV and you can damage it prying off. You must first shear the RTV then you can easily pry off the cover.

The following are a little confusing as they referring the marks on the camshaft.

1696609264014.png

1696609972492.png

Last edited:

graybeard47

Forum Newbie
Threads
Nor so simple to check. First you need the piston at TDC compression stroke. Then you remove the rocker cover to check the timing. Note the rocker is held on with RTV and you can damage it prying off. You must first shear the RTV then you can easily pry off the cover.

The following are a little confusing as they referring the marks on the camshaft.

View attachment 66937

View attachment 66938
Location: So the cylinder head cover/rocker cover (stamped with the letters O H C ) in which the spark plug is installed over the top of it and doing nothing else will show if the timing
is still in one piece. Right?

Thank you

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
If the timing belt is broken, or has come off the camshaft, you will know it by pulling the rope to start, and feel no compression. Use a heat gun to help soften rtv on valve cover.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or simply use a section of 2x4 and a 2 lb hammer to shear the RTV. In this case Hondabond.