Tiger Cub Vanguard 23 HP Oil Leak

Jeff Klink

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, again. 50-55 foot pounds of torque it will be if all before that step goes well. It was cumbersome to try to hold the shaft from turning with a channel lock while unsuccessfully trying to loosen the bolt with a regular socket wrench as the shaft would still turn. I discovered the shaft has a small hole in it above the mower-belt pulley that may temporarily accommodate a small screw and, if so, render use of the channel lock more effective in keeping the shaft from turning, particularly against no more than 50-55 pounds of torque. Thus, assuming I have better luck getting the bolt off with an impact wrench, in tightening the bolt with a torque wrench, the temporary screw and channel lock will hopefully counterbalance the required torque without the shaft turning. At least, that's my current plan. Thanks, again, for your time and expertise to date.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never had a pair of 10CR vise grips slip while torquing a clutch bolt if I get them tight enough.

Jeff Klink

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have removed the PTO clutch but am stuck on trying to remove the drive pulley in order to access the oil seal without having to remove the engine. Copious amounts of penetrating lubricant and exhaustively researching videos about different ways for loosening the drive pulley or the 3" key on the drive pulley have failed to budge either. I believe the vanguard 23 hp engine and Tiger Cat were both built in 2007. Engine model no. 386777-0122-E1. Bought it from a local dealer in TPA (who no longer handles Scag) supposedly new in July, 2009 but now suspect that it may have been prettied up and worked on for sale as new. Has leaked oil for as long as I remember but not bad until 2020 when it literally caught fire. An authorized Scag dealer got it up and running for under $1k. Ever since then it has leaked worse and about a year ago oil started frequently collecting in the drive and mower clutch pulley and the mower deck is now black with flung oil. The same local authorized scag dealer ignored my repeated calls about the leak throughout all of 2024 which led to my trying to research and fix the worsening oil leak problem myself. Even if I continue down the self-education DIY route, I am not sure that I will be able to get the drive pulley off w/o removal of the engine. Given the engine's oil leak and fire history and the dealer who got it up and running after the first fire and a second fire several months later that was not as bad, probably more oil and less gas, but never remedied the leaks permanently or properly, I likely will need to replace all engine gaskets from which oil and/or gas might leak even if drive shaft oil seal may be the worst leak culprit and I can get the drive pulley off after the engine has been removed. Should I be considering a new Vanguard engine through a reputable dealer with expertise and integrity or have such a dealer try to salvage the existing engine? While a new Vanguard engine is not cheap, it may still be less than trying to properly remedy the leaks on the existing engine. Thank you in advance for your time, expertise, and any input you may wish to offer. Jeff