Tiger Cub Vanguard 23 HP Oil Leak

Jeff Klink

Forum Newbie
Threads
Oil accumulating in mower belt pulley above the clutch. Need to try to replace oil seal above the clutch but so far have been unable to loosen the bolt on the shaft beneath the clutch. Dumb question: does this bolt loosen in the universal direction -- counter-clockwise and, as I suspect, does it take an impact wrench to loosen it? Once the clutch is removed, what else, if anything, needs to be removed in order to access the old oil seal (Part No. 805049S)?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Since no one else has bother to answer.

Most PTO retaining screws are RH threaded. Yes you may need an impact to get it loose as some have Loctite on threads. And after the PTO clutch is off then you need remove the drive pulley and any key stock.

Now if you pull the seal while the engine still has oil in it be prepare to catch the oil running out. Some only a small amount coming out and others have a lot coming out; just depends the design. Even with the oil removed from engine there will some oil to run out.

When reinstalling the PTO bolt don't use an impact but instead use a torque wrench tighten to spec. Over tightening will lead to bearing failure and under tightening will lead to clutch falling off. Some clutches have a double "D" adapter that you can hold with a wrench and others don't . Those that don't you must hold the flywheel when torquing down the retaining screw.

Also when disassembling and re-assembly pay attention if addition washers are used and orientation of the parts.

Jeff Klink

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since no one else has bother to answer.

Most PTO retaining screws are RH threaded. Yes you may need an impact to get it loose as some have Loctite on threads. And after the PTO clutch is off then you need remove the drive pulley and any key stock.

Now if you pull the seal while the engine still has oil in it be prepare to catch the oil running out. Some only a small amount coming out and others have a lot coming out; just depends the design. Even with the oil removed from engine there will some oil to run out.

When reinstalling the PTO bolt don't use an impact but instead use a torque wrench tighten to spec. Over tightening will lead to bearing failure and under tightening will lead to clutch falling off. Some clutches have a double "D" adapter that you can hold with a wrench and others don't . Those that don't you must hold the flywheel when torquing down the retaining screw.

Also when disassembling and re-assembly pay attention if addition washers are used and orientation of the parts.
Star Tech,

Thank you for furthering my never-ending education. What torque level is recommended for reassembly as the operator's manual for the Tiger Cub and B&S Operating Manual for the Vanguard 23 HP engine fail to contain that spec.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Pretty sure it going to be the 7/16-20 retaining screw but here is a chart just in case it not. Very doubtful it going to be M10.

1722011011036.png

kbowley

Threads
Just hit it with an impact driver, just don't let it sit there and pound when installing. It is a nightmare to try and hold the engine from turning to torque it with a wrench. It is a 3/8" fine thread interference thread, grade 5. Grade 8 is too brittle to expand and contract with heat..Aternately, pick up a 50 lb. ft. torque stick for your impact wrench to prevent over torquing.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just hit it with an impact driver, just don't let it sit there and pound when installing. It is a nightmare to try and hold the engine from turning to torque it with a wrench. It is a 3/8" fine thread interference thread, grade 5. Grade 8 is too brittle to expand and contract with heat..Aternately, pick up a 50 lb. ft. torque stick for your impact wrench to prevent over torquing.
Are you really sure about the screw/bolt size for the Briggs Vanguard 23hp?
1722026731557.png

And even the horizontal shaft version can come in one of three different sizes. This is why we must have the engine model and type numbers before barking it is one particular size as many of us work on too many different engines to know without looking up a particular engine. I fairly certain the Scag would not have a taper shaft version.

1722029494855.png

It not that hard when you know what you are doing to torque the screw. I done replace two new PTO clutches this year because someone using an impact to install them.
And BTW my impact doesn't attempt to stop until it around 85 ft/lbs.

Plus those clutches with the double "D" adapter I have a custom holding tool for them.

Last edited:

kbowley

Threads
Yes, I am. With a 5/8" head. Maybe you should pick up a torque stick?

Last edited:

Jeff Klink

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. The Vanguard engine model is 386777-0122-E1

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1722042611210.png

Definitely a 7/16-20 screw.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have found that you can usually take a pair of 10CR vise grip pliers that are made to hold round objects. You can usually get them between the clutch and engine pulley or above the engine pulley and lock them down. They will most of the time stop against something on the mower and you can torque the bolt to the proper torque. I sometimes have to take a shaft and stick in through a hole in the frame and let the vise grips stop against it. Of course you have to let bottom of the shaft rest against something as well. I guess I am lucky in that respect since I have the luxury of working off a lift and lock a pair of vise grips on the shaft and let in rest on the arm of the lift.