throttle linkage diagram, high revving regardless of throttle cable setting

Forest#2

Threads
  • / throttle linkage diagram, high revving regardless of throttle cable setting
I actually DID do just that, with no change... when it fires, it revs out of control. i have a parts engine,i am pretty sure the gov gear is toast... i just need time to tear the 2 down. but ty for the info!!
I actually DID do just that, with no change... when it fires, it revs out of control.

I recently had same problem as you with one of those twin Inteks. It was a new to me engine that had bad carb plus other things and people had be flogging the engine creating numerous issues..
When I got it cranked up it would go to max throttle but would slow idle if I held the carb manually. I was thinking about pulling the sump and checking the governor but one last attempt at the slow idle static adjust, I got results.
The governor shaft coming out of the engine was actually slipping in the the governor arm. The 7/16 locknut had to be really snug and not limp wristed. Had to use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with a 7/16 socket and get it good tight.
Problem solved.
If it is broken inside the block be sure and find
all the pieces of the puzzle or the gears will eventually find them.

oldntired55

Threads
I actually DID do just that, with no change... when it fires, it revs out of control.

I recently had same problem as you with one of those twin Inteks. It was a new to me engine that had bad carb plus other things and people had be flogging the engine creating numerous issues..
When I got it cranked up it would go to max throttle but would slow idle if I held the carb manually. I was thinking about pulling the sump and checking the governor but one last attempt at the slow idle static adjust, I got results.
The governor shaft coming out of the engine was actually slipping in the the governor arm. The 7/16 locknut had to be really snug and not limp wristed. Had to use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with a 7/16 socket and get it good tight.
Problem solved.
If it is broken inside the block be sure and find
all the pieces of the puzzle or the gears will eventually find them.
ok thanks for the info, i can manually pull it down to idle, or , use a spring to pull it back...ill check that and let you know!!

oldntired55

Threads
ok thanks for the info, i can manually pull it down to idle, or , use a spring to pull it back...ill check that and let you know!!
So, after tearing this engine apart for the THIRD time, with a gov issue... i found this in the sump/crankcase...i realize that governor shaft is NOT supposed to come out, but it did, and it ruined the new governor. have another one ordered... in the mean time, i put of some of my limited machine shop skills to work, i drilled and tabbed the block for a 1/4 inch set screw... yes i realize thats a hardened shaft,after some careful measurements and blue dye, i ground a few notches into the shaft, for the set screw to bite on. also , took a prick punch inside the block hole, and put a small dab of JB WEld on the shaft, wiping clean any excess that oozed out. then, tightened the set screw(with Loctite)..and staked it in . the gear is on and holding now. wish me luck when i start it up... if it doesn't work, ill be tearing down another v twin and using that block!!!

Attachments

• gov and shaft.jpg
    gov and shaft.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 67c1edfe-3c40-4919-92c2-76617698fd98.jpg
    67c1edfe-3c40-4919-92c2-76617698fd98.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 58372371-e2f9-4820-9f76-9324211bf49c.jpg
    58372371-e2f9-4820-9f76-9324211bf49c.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 4
  • ecfcd9a2-c1ca-4438-9564-1145b5e5e191.jpg
    ecfcd9a2-c1ca-4438-9564-1145b5e5e191.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 4

oldntired55

Threads
So, after tearing this engine apart for the THIRD time, with a gov issue... i found this in the sump/crankcase...i realize that governor shaft is NOT supposed to come out, but it did, and it ruined the new governor. have another one ordered... in the mean time, i put of some of my limited machine shop skills to work, i drilled and tapped the block for a 1/4 inch set screw... yes i realize thats a hardened shaft,after some careful measurements and blue dye, i ground a few notches into the shaft, for the set screw to bite on. also , took a prick punch inside the block hole, and put a small dab of JB WEld on the shaft, wiping clean any excess that oozed out. then, tightened the set screw(with Loctite)..and staked it in . the gear is on and holding now. wish me luck when i start it up... if it doesn't work, ill be tearing down another v twin and using that block!!!
i also realize it was a lot of time and extra work, but i never in my 45+ yrs of being a ,mechanic, was one to 'give up'. i wiull beat this thing...one way or another!