Throttle cable linkage?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just aware that Briggs doesn't an ipl listed persay for that 2019 engine. So you might want to get the vendor to get you one for later use.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In the off position the slide that the cable is sitting in should be as close th the governor arm as possible so the green spring is slack.
In the WFO position the cable should pull that slide as close to the cable anchor to stretch the green spring as possible.
Final adjustment is done by moving the cable under the clamp and turning the screw with the coil spring around it .
Which way does the throttle lever on the mower move the cable from min to max ?
I have not set one of these before but the basic principle is he same for all of them.
As Star mentioned, some engines pull for off and others push for off .
If yours ends up being backwards to the markings on the body then you have an automatic thieft deterrent ,
What is confusing you is right now the engine is at rest so the governor is holding the throttle WFO for starting.
The instant the engine starts to turn the governor will move against the green spring to try to CLOSE the throttle.
People usually get it wrong and think the governor makes the engine go faster but it is always trying to close the butterfly and make the engine go slower.
This is balanced by the green spring pulling against the governor trying to pull the throttle open.
Put a Z bend in the end of the cable and slip it through either the hole it is in or the arrowed one they look like they are both on the same slide
move the control lever to pull the cable in then pull the slide as close to the clamp as possible which will stretch the green spring a little .
Slide the cable outer under the clap to take up the slack then tighten the clamping screw.
Check that the cable will allow the slide to move full length between full on & off.
The final adjustments will need to be made engine running.
The position of the cable under the clamp will set either the WFO or off position and the screw with the spring on it will set the other extreme .

Kevin Baker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just aware that Briggs doesn't an ipl listed persay for that 2019 engine. So you might want to get the vendor to get you one for later use.
Yeah I know that was the first thing I tried.

Kevin Baker

Forum Newbie
Threads
In the off position the slide that the cable is sitting in should be as close th the governor arm as possible so the green spring is slack.
In the WFO position the cable should pull that slide as close to the cable anchor to stretch the green spring as possible.
Final adjustment is done by moving the cable under the clamp and turning the screw with the coil spring around it .
Which way does the throttle lever on the mower move the cable from min to max ?
I have not set one of these before but the basic principle is he same for all of them.
As Star mentioned, some engines pull for off and others push for off .
If yours ends up being backwards to the markings on the body then you have an automatic thieft deterrent ,
What is confusing you is right now the engine is at rest so the governor is holding the throttle WFO for starting.
The instant the engine starts to turn the governor will move against the green spring to try to CLOSE the throttle.
People usually get it wrong and think the governor makes the engine go faster but it is always trying to close the butterfly and make the engine go slower.
This is balanced by the green spring pulling against the governor trying to pull the throttle open.
Put a Z bend in the end of the cable and slip it through either the hole it is in or the arrowed one they look like they are both on the same slide
move the control lever to pull the cable in then pull the slide as close to the clamp as possible which will stretch the green spring a little .
Slide the cable outer under the clap to take up the slack then tighten the clamping screw.
Check that the cable will allow the slide to move full length between full on & off.
The final adjustments will need to be made engine running.
The position of the cable under the clamp will set either the WFO or off position and the screw with the spring on it will set the other extreme .
Bert can you explain your last sentence. Going by everything up to that part I think I know, but yes the carb being wide open at rest is really messing with my mind. Why in the hell would a manufacturer do that? If I attach the cable with the slide closest to the governor with slack in the green for idle the throttle cable will work backwards? Sorry for the confusion! This is more complicated than rebuilding an engine!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Been away for a week, sorry for the delay in response .
Most mower engines start with the choke closed & the throttle wide open.
The governor i=should be thought as a BRAKE to slow the engine down
The faster the engine is going the stronger the governor tries to slow it down.
Now the throttle control that you move sets the maximum speed that the governor will allow the engine to run at.
The governor is just a bob weight that flings out when the engine is running and turns the governor shaft to CLOSE the throttle.When the engine is not spinning there is no forces pushing the bob weights out so the governor ALLOWS the throttle butterfly to go to the fully open position.

You just have to get it into your gan that the governor is an engine brake to prevent the engine over reving.
When the engine is under high load, it slows down, the governor relaxes so the spring that connects the governor to the throttle control pulls the governor arm towards the fully open position .
The engine gets more fuel, just the same as you flooring the accelerator pedal on your car going up a steep hill.
The throttle opens up wide to provide more power but the engine speed stays the same till the engine is producing more power than needed to maintain he road speed.
At this time the cars governor ( your foot ) backs off the throttle to maintain the fixed road speed lest you get a reminder from the local law you are going too fast .