This is why we can't have nice things

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's another instance of parts being unavailable. The vehicle is only about 6 years old.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
And a lot of zero's in the price. At those prices, they had better be good. I'm glad I'm not in the market for a new ZTR. I buy used almost exclusively, so I'm sometimes in the same boat at those with no-longer-supported equipment. A couple of years ago, a control cable broke on a 20 yr old Husqvarna ZTR I had. New cable was NLA. I found someone making them, and bought a pair... at $300. And this was before the latest round of inflation.

Goodness. Apparently he knew they were NLA. (for that price)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I go to the local control cable factory near a light aircraft airfield .
If I have the ends and it just needs a new inner then $ 20 ( aus)
Complete cable $ 30
Cable with ends $ 40
And those prices are way cheaper than any of my wholesale parts suppliers

GearHead36

Threads
Oh, absolutely. There would be no reason for an independent shop to make these cables if they were still available from the manufacturer. It was, spend $300 or get rid of my ZTR. Might have to give it away. Then quickly find a replacement. $300 was painful but not as painful as buying a replacement ZTR.

GearHead36

Threads
I go to the local control cable factory near a light aircraft airfield .
If I have the ends and it just needs a new inner then $ 20 ( aus)
Complete cable $ 30
Cable with ends $ 40
And those prices are way cheaper than any of my wholesale parts suppliers
I don't think those prices would be found in the US, especially from a cable shop that serves the aircraft industry.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't think those prices would be found in the US, especially from a cable shop that serves the aircraft industry.

I don't know of any small engine shop that would charge you $300 to make 2 cables for any mower. You got taken.

Last edited:

skippymud

Threads
This explains a lot of the business models for todays products. Things we were bringing up in the Taryls shop closing thread. It starts out about light bulbs, but it goes into other products.
One thing particularly that really caught my attention, was the companies allowing the government to fine other companies who made a bulb that lasted longer than 1000 hours.

If company build solid, long lasting products, they'd never achieve the profit margin increases, year after year.

Hi PTmowerMech

That video was awesome. And who doesn't love Taryl?!?! Tell me one

But in referencing the video, I believe this has *always* been a part of the game, and of which we are and were all a part, even in some small way each of us. Awesome post PT guy

Lawn Addict
Threads
(y)

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi PTmowerMech

That video was awesome. And who doesn't love Taryl?!?! Tell me one

But in referencing the video, I believe this has *always* been a part of the game, and of which we are and were all a part, even in some small way each of us. Awesome post PT guy

I like Taryls video's. He's got a common sense approach to a lot of things. To most things, actually. In this game, it requires a lot of that.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Dad used to say if you have common sense, you can be smarter than some college kids..