The NEW Kohler

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Chingkohler.jpg
Brand new log splitter won't run. A guy's daughter bought it for him for his birthday and hauled it a hundred miles to him. The "Kohler" engine is a chonda clone. Pulled the carb and it is identical to a $15 Ebay carb down to the markings. Nothing against the clones as they run fine. I wonder how much that Kohler sricker adds to the price? Tractor supply aslo delivered it 2 gallons low on hydraulic fluid.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
It probably set for a long time at TS and there was residue in the carb fuel shutoff valve blocking the fuel. Obviously TS didn't start it when she bought it. $1200 splitter and they didn't even try to start it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well first is that a Metric adjustable wrench laying there?

And it even looks a clone. I wonder if Kohler is building them or just having them dressed up.

Anyway the Service manual for the SH265 is the 3000 series service manual.

It is only getting worst as we lose trained people and company hires funkies to be the techs. I currently dealing with company that recently was sold to a woman operator. The tech has no idea what he is doing. That's okay with me as I am picking up their lost customers. But I was thinking starting a GoFund Me page for him to help buy him the correct tools then it dawn me why help the competition stab me in the back.

They did tried to stick to my current customer when told him his $4000 engine needed replacing when it was only a blown head gasket. A $300 repair as there some other problems I found is a lot less than $4000 +. Then customer shows up with a blower engine that the same so-called tech cleaned carburetor 3x. When I pulled the carb large pieces of grass was clogged both the inlet and the main jet. Looks like all he did was drop the fuel bowl and clean it out and added a 70 micron filter.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, my metric adjustable wrench lives next to my metric hammer in the toolbox. I do have a set of metric screwdrivers JIS

I can tell you it is definately a china built clone. Pretty much every part looks identical to a clone i have.

Here is the 6.5 HF predator. Almost an exact copy except for air cleaner and tank.
HF sells them for $160. How much does Kohler pay?

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I also like the JIS cross point screwdrivers they fit a lot better.

Just joking on the Metric adjustable wrench. I pulled that one on a Home Depot tool department employee. The youngster was all over the tool looking for one when finally dawn him to ask his supervisor. Boy I almost had to leave the store until the supervisor recognized me. Then I just got a "Why did you do that? look when I had pull that on him when he first started selling tools at Lowe's.

They are not going to tell us. You that is a trade secret but there is hefty mark-up for the Kohler name plus they will stand by the product unlike HFT when you need parts.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Just buy the correct carb - if the carb! Like already said - what diagnostics has been done. Many carbs are same appearance but different performance. Find a kohler dealer or on-line buy THE part to avoid issues. Also, why not stop and have a warrantied dealer fix it?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just buy the correct carb - if the carb! Like already said - what diagnostics has been done. Many carbs are same appearance but different performance. Find a kohler dealer or on-line buy THE part to avoid issues. Also, why not stop and have a warrantied dealer fix it?
Local TS said to take it back to where she bought it. A hundred miles away. I have put dozens of cheap clone carbs on clones and Hondas with no problems. Don't have that luck with real Kohler and Briggs engines. All it needed was to clean the sticky gunk out of the carb fuel shutoff. Lots of Honda style carbs are replaced because people don't know where or how to clean the tiny pilot jet.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Local TS said to take it back to where she bought it. A hundred miles away. I have put dozens of cheap clone carbs on clones and Hondas with no problems. Don't have that luck with real Kohler and Briggs engines. All it needed was to clean the sticky gunk out of the carb fuel shutoff. Lots of Honda style carbs are replaced because people don't know where or how to clean the tiny pilot jet.
OK - do what you want. ANY Authorized Kohler can do this or provide the proper parts. Most any repair shop can also order the correct part, but trial and error without the proper part number is what you want to do - I get it. It's to hard to get the model number and call a local dealer and get the part number. Then order either from him or on-line THE part needed. Of course that assumes it is the carb!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK - do what you want. ANY Authorized Kohler can do this or provide the proper parts. Most any repair shop can also order the correct part, but trial and error without the proper part number is what you want to do - I get it. It's to hard to get the model number and call a local dealer and get the part number. Then order either from him or on-line THE part needed. Of course that assumes it is the carb!
Bring it to me and fixed in 30 mins. Charged $40. Splitting wood that afternoon.
Tractor Supply is not a Kohler service center. Local TS said take it back to where she bought it a hundred miles away. If they did take it back they would drop it off as TS would send it to whomever does their service work and then drive back a hundred miles to pick it up in a week or so if lucky. You obviously think i have no idea what the f**k i am doing. That's fine. Have a nice day.