The dreaded farmers tan

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
So i work from 7 am till about 330 pm on my day job and then about 330 till about 7 on my personal business i wear a tank top for both jobs as not wearing a shirt can appear to be unprofessional. Every year my wife loves to make fun of my permanent farmers tan does anyone else suffer this inevitable humiliation >.< and has anyone done anything about it how to maybe even out the farmers tan a little bit

Lawnranger

Threads
Since you asked, I even out my "farmers tan" by wearing a wide brim hat, long sleeve shirt, gloves and long pants. If I'm going to be out in the sun for more than ten minutes I cover up and avoid UV exposure as much as possible.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
sounds like death for me whose in the sun and heat ALL day

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most of the guys over 50 on this forum will tell you that it is cooler with a long sleeve shirt on. It gets the sweat off you skin where it evaporates faster. Take a look at the older guys working outdoor construction.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
would that not hold the heat in? and when your all wet from sweat and a slight breeze hits it feels nice

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You would think so but it does not work that, don't know why, but it sure working back in the 60's when I had to load hay wagons all day.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Its an interesting thought but i am a little afraid of trying it :/ just a plain cotton long sleeve? or something lighter?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Loose fitting cotton, it takes a bit getting use to,

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Since you asked, I even out my "farmers tan" by wearing a wide brim hat, long sleeve shirt, gloves and long pants. If I'm going to be out in the sun for more than ten minutes I cover up and avoid UV exposure as much as possible.

SMART MOVE!
Skin cancer is no joke, look around down here and you'll see lots of older guys missing large parts of thier ears. You see, the doctors cut them off to save thier lives. The face will have pieces of skin from other parts of the body grafted around and on the nose, looks like a freak show. I make every effort to keep the sun off of me.
I always wear white shirts and a large wide brimed hat with sunglasses. Take care of what you have, lest you lose it to the big "C" or some doctor with a knife.
It will keep you cooler, simply because that radiant energy is not on your body, it's converted to convective energy on your shirt and the sweat evaprotes there and cools your body more efficiently.
The big landscape contractors here will use Mexicans as laborers. These people know how to last the day and then the week in triple digit temps. They will laugh at anyone with exposed skin. Most will wear hooded sweatshirts, with the hood around thier heads pulled tight.