Testing a hour meter from my Bad Boy Mower

BigBlueEdge

Threads
Oh, interesting. Didn't know that.

Bobster

Threads
Thanks, will find out in a few days when the new meter comes in.
Bob

ken2

Threads
I ordered a new meter for mine off ebay $59.99 free shipping. My old meter will light up if I remove it from the mower and shake it and play with it. I think it has a loose connection with the internal battery. Mine is a 2021 with 59.7 hours. Thought about buying a cheaper universal tach/hour meter. it wouldn't fit in the mounting hole. really don't want to coble up my mower just yet.
I did notice the meter has a date of March 3rd, 2019. It was three years old when I bought the mower in late August 2021. I had to wait all summer for a mower to come in.

10ecfarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just 1 question bout the hour meter/tach combo. How accurate is the tach?
BadBoy Outlaw XP

ken2

Threads
Just 1 question bout the hour meter/tach combo. How accurate is the tach?
BadBoy Outlaw XP
I wonder that myself. I have one of those old Briggs tach's that work off vibration. I'm going to compare the too when I get a chance.

GrumpyCat

Threads
You haven't disconnected the meter yet?

I believe Bad Boy (and everyone else) drives the meter off the 12V electrical system exactly the same as was done in ancient times with mechanical clock hour meters.

So start by disconnecting the meter (2 wires, right?) and put a volt meter on the wires. I think you have to be sitting in the seat for the safety to let the engine run for there to be a signal on the wires. There are some digital meters which are not polarity sensitive, others are. Could yours be polarity sensitive, and wired backwards?

The single wire hour meters some speak of are retrofit hour meters. The single wire is wrapped around a spark plug wire. 10kV or so induces enough signal for the hour meter to detect.

GrumpyCat

Threads
I dug into the schematic of my Country Clipper and found the hour meter is driven by 12V from the ignition switch grounding through the low oil pressure switch on the engine. So the hour meter only runs when there is oil pressure.

Bobster

Threads
On my mower, I put the new meter on and now it all works, so I guess I just had a bad meter before. Thanks for everyone's help.
Bob

L.J.B.

Forum Newbie
Threads
So Bad Boy uses an hour meter / tach that has only one wire that goes to the spark plug and wraps around the spark plug wire to pickup the impulses. There is NO power / ground to the meter. It appears to have a battery internally as it is a sealed unit. AND they fail. I just had to replace mine at 2 years old and about 36 hours on it. My local BB dealer gave me a new one and tells me that they see a lot of failures of them.....go figure. I noticed on the BB site, that the replacement they sell for about 60 bux is different than the one I have on my machine (and the one they gave me). I've actually have it on my little genny now to put the hours back on it so its accurate to what was on my BB when it failed. The replacement is reading accurately for RPM.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In reality an hour meter is a toy to amuse the feeble minded and a tool to void warranties.
About 3/4 of the mowers I service have broken hour meters
Change your oil after the last mow of the season, before you go in for a beer .
Replace the oil filter with it or every 2nd or 5th year ( ie year ends with an even number or 5 & 0 )
Change belts as needed and do transmission idlers with every second belt and deck idlers with every 3rd belt .
Spindle bearings as needed because there is a finite number of times you can do them
After that 1 stroke of grease in all grease nipples on the first mow of every month, 1/2 stroke on deck & drive tensioners ( if they have a nipple )
Same time apply dry lithium spray grease to every place where 2 pieces of metal run against each other , expect to use 1/3 can each lube .
Do that and there is a better than average chance you mower will serve you well for 10 to 20 years
A very long air duster ( 3' to 5' ) is your best friend to keep the underside free from debris and while doing this you will notice things that are wearing out .