Temporarily bypass all safety switches

ITGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
With a 2011 LTX1040, is there a way to temporarily bypass all safety switches so I can confirm a starting problem?

It will crank no problem, and I did pull the plug and verified it's getting spark. If I engage the blade it won't start. If I release the brake it won't start. I wasn't sure about the seat safety so I pulled the plug, no start. I then jumped the two leads with a paper clip, and no start.

All I can think of is the reverse safety. But to verify I'm on the right track I was wondering if there's an easy way at the harness in the engine compartment to just bypass all safety switches to test? No, I don't want to run it this way permanently.

FYI, the reverse light stopped going on right before it died. So I replaced the ignition/reverse switch module. Waste of $35, but at least I ruled it out.

The day it died it felt like something was grounding out. Stopped, then kept going, stopped again, and then kept going. Sort of like when you run out of gas, but I cranked it with the air filter off and oh yeah it's getting plenty of gas.

HELP! Gotta get this MTD-Cadet running soon or buy a machete for the back yard.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have a 4 wire seat switch, reconnect it because it has secret internal switch in the plug itself to prevent morons removing it.
To bypass all of the personal safety wiring you remove the kill wires from the magneto under the blower housing.
Because you have the mower in front of you and we have a screen, have a good look at what you wrote.
Turning = cranking
Firing = engine goes bang 1 or more times but will not continue running.
Runs = you can mow with it.

There are two independent types of safety circuits.
The PTO & Parking brake prevent the starter motor cranking the engine
Nothing stops it sparking while cranking but the PTO switch and if it is on the engine wont crank either.

1) The first test is to check for spark.
2) If you have a spark squirt some starting fluid ( carb cleaner is easier on the engine ) down the plug hole and crank.
A single fire = spark timing is ok
Backfire out carb = inlet valve problem
Backfire out exhaust can be exhaust valve problem
3) Do the same down the carb throat
Starts & runs till the fluid is consumed = valves are OK

If the latter happened, give it repeated SHORT SHOTS down the carb,
If you can keep the engine running for 30 sec to a minute like this then you have a fuel supply problem.

From what you have written I would suspect the carb solenoid is shorting out or power feed to it is broken.

marsh876

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a older craftsman riding lawn mower that will not turn over. I have checked battery , replaced starter and starter solenoid, and ingition switch and it still won't turn over. Any suggestions

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First one is not to tack onto the bottom of a closed thread
1) can you turn the engine over by hand ?
2 ) will it crank without the spark plug in
3 ) will it crank with the battery connected directly to the starter with booster leads ?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
With a 2011 LTX1040, is there a way to temporarily bypass all safety switches so I can confirm a starting problem?

It will crank no problem, and I did pull the plug and verified it's getting spark. If I engage the blade it won't start. If I release the brake it won't start. I wasn't sure about the seat safety so I pulled the plug, no start. I then jumped the two leads with a paper clip, and no start.

All I can think of is the reverse safety. But to verify I'm on the right track I was wondering if there's an easy way at the harness in the engine compartment to just bypass all safety switches to test? No, I don't want to run it this way permanently.

FYI, the reverse light stopped going on right before it died. So I replaced the ignition/reverse switch module. Waste of $35, but at least I ruled it out.

The day it died it felt like something was grounding out. Stopped, then kept going, stopped again, and then kept going. Sort of like when you run out of gas, but I cranked it with the air filter off and oh yeah it's getting plenty of gas.

HELP! Gotta get this MTD-Cadet running soon or buy a machete for my yard

Did U just fill it up with fuel before this happened. If so check the fuel for water.