Temperature

Haliday

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is the 3rd summer using the Troy Built TB 30r rider. This season it starts fine and runs well until it chugs like I'm running out of fuel and then chugs until it stops. I can wait for ten minutes or so and it starts fine and runs well until it starts to chug and stop again. I've changed gas filter, air filter, oil change and new gas and continues to over heat, I think! Any ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Next time it happens loosen the gas cap when it starts chugging. We want to rule out a bad cap that is not venting properly. If it clears up replace the cap.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Next time it happens loosen the gas cap when it starts chugging. We want to rule out a bad cap that is not venting properly. If it clears up replace the cap.
Also need to keep in mind if this is a 3-4 year old rider, the fuel cap will be non-vented and will use a vapor recovery system into the low vacuum side of the air intake.

Haliday

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you Rivets and Liengine for your reply. Should the cap be vented? If it uses a vapor recovery system, is there something I could do to remedy this? Thanks guys!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thank you Rivets and Liengine for your reply. Should the cap be vented? If it uses a vapor recovery system, is there something I could do to remedy this? Thanks guys!
If it has the vapor recovery system, the cap won't be vented. Now if that vent plugs up it will have the same effect as a blocked cap vent. You can try to loosen the cap and see if it works. The vapor recovery system will look like a inch diameter black plug on top of the fuel tank with a vent hose connected between it and the air cleaner housing.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
continues to over heat, I think!
How about removing the metal engine shroud? Maybe clean the block and cooling fins? Heard it's pretty important to do this yearly.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've changed gas filter, air filter, oil change and new gas and continues to over heat, I think! Any ideas?
Ignition coil going out or weak maybe.
Clogged fuel system. Crud in tank and fuel lines passing rubber trash to carb.
Never adjusted the valves.
Never cleaned the cooling fins.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And here is one that I ran into several times during the Spring start up season. The use of Winter fuel. It has a much low boiling point as low as 140F. Heat from the exhaust blowing over the carburetor fuel bowl, fuel lines, and fuel filter. When fuel heats to the boiling point of fuel the system will develop back pressure causing a fuel line vapors lock. I actually seen fuel to be bubbling in the filters at times.

So it can be the cause when the fuel was purchased or when the fuel distributor change from Winter to Summer mix and what the current outside temperature is at the time of the use.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
And here is one that I ran into several times during the Spring start up season. The use of Winter fuel. It has a much low boiling point as low as 140F. Heat from the exhaust blowing over the carburetor fuel bowl, fuel lines, and fuel filter. When fuel heats to the boiling point of fuel the system will develop back pressure causing a fuel line vapors lock. I actually seen fuel to be bubbling in the filters at times.

So it can be the cause when the fuel was purchased or when the fuel distributor change from Winter to Summer mix and what the current outside temperature is at the time of the use.
I just worked on a 13.5hp Briggs Intek head gasket chunker. Mower set for a couple years. Carb needle hung wide open. When I shut it off, you could hear a percolating sound coming from excess fuel into the cylinder. Filled up the oil sump vent tube with fuel LOL. Fuel was bought a week ago. Hope it was summer blend. ??

Actually sounded like an old percolating coffee pot. That was cool. I was waiting for a fire to break out. Was over 90F that day.

And yes I dumped the oil. (y)