TB 30 no power to solenoid

Paul M

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello!

I have a TB30 that has given me zero problems for the last 5 years. Until today.....

I removed the deck for cleaning, re-attached the deck, and started the mower to check all the functions. Everything was good, so I shut it off.

When I went to start it up again a few minutes later, I had nothing. No clicks, no start.

I immediately checked all of the cut-off switches. (Seat, blade engage, and deck plug). All were in the proper position.

After that, I started digging deeper. I removed the cut off switches, and tested them for continuity. All good. I removed the key switch and tested it between "B' battery, and "S' solenoid. Tested ok.

I even removed the solenoid, energized it, and heard it click. I then tested it for continuity. Good.

I'm going a little nuts here. The mower is acting like one of the safety switches is not engaged, but I know damn well that they are.

Any ideas??

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Click above website, then Manuals, then bottom left of screen, Operators Manual see page 31 Troubleshooting Section. .Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark
Check 20 amp fuse, then battery & all wiring by hand making sure everything is tight & secure. Have you used water to clean machine?

Last edited:

Paul M

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, Mark.

But this problem is way beyond the "troubleshooting guide" stuff. :)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No it is not
Power to energise the solenoid is a daisy chain from the fuse through to the solenoid
Usually it is key switch, PTO switch, parking brake switch then solenoid .
Some manual gear boxes have a neutral switch as well that are in the loop
The seat switch is not in the cranking loop on smaller ride ons .
So get a wiring diagram , start at the key switch, unplug it and jump the B & S terminals then move on the the next switch that has power to one side & jump it
When the engine spins you have found the fault
If all of the switched have been jumped then a wire is broken between the last one with power & the next one with no power.
Note crimped terminals are known for breaking at the crimp so will give yes : no : yes types of readings as the broken connection makes & breaks circuit.

Paul M

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes. Of course you are spot-on with your info, Bert. And thank you for taking the time to post it.

And my apologies to Mark. I read his advice too quickly, and thought he was referring to the owners manual. SMH.

I hadn't even looked at the mower again until today. But, I found the source of the problem and it may help out other TB30 owners.

Upon the deck removal, The harness pigtail for the safety switch for the deck mulch plug/chute was pulled tight. Not terribly tight, but tight enough.

It turns out that this switch pigtail is teed off to the brake safety switch only about 2-inches away.

Well, the pressure on the chute pigtail was sufficient enough to "twist" the brake safety switch out of position just enough to where it was not depressing. (Yes, the brake safety switch can actually pivot if pulled on).

Thank you again, Mark and Bert. And I hope my experience can help others in the future........ :)