T2500 lawn tractor - upgrade seat suspension?

Florida

Threads
Craftsman 917255830 (t2500)
Was talking to my father the other day and he mentions he gets pretty sore after mowing his 2 acre yard. Kidney area and back hurts for days after mowing. The yard is flat but has some bumps/ruts in areas.
Anyone have experience with upgrading seat suspension either via a kit or using a different model's seat/set up and adapting it to fit?
Or is going slow truly the only way to solve this problem?

Attachments

• t2500.jpg
    t2500.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 3

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When it comes to seat upgrades the sky is the limit on both the products availible & the prices
You can put air springs ( compression pistons ) where the standard springs are, or a motorcycle water seat overlay on top of the seat .
Several air cushions from as cheap as an old inner tube partially inflated right through to medical aid hemerroid cushions.
Then if you want to get some really comfortable seats, any of the air ride seats used on construction equipment but these can go as high as $ 4,000 ( aus) because they are the answer to million dollar workers compensation claims .
One customer of mine simply put an almost flat basket ball under their seat
In most cases the seat springs are designed to work for people from 40 kg to 100 kg so children will not trip the seat switch .
But down here the average 50 year old male goes over 100 kg
You could also go for some longer Toro springs from a time cutter and note Toro use 3 of them
First thing is to work out what actions are causing the pain .
In most cases it is the springs bottoming out but some times it is the back slamming into the drivers back, cured by fitting a low back seat .
Now if he is a big ( I am being polite here ) person and it is excessive belly fat then you either will need a seat with adjustable lumbar support or even side support
A 90 + year old ( he won't tell any one his true age ) wears his kidney belt from when he was a timber cutter swinging an axe all day, motorcycle kidney belts might be a cheaper substitute particularly as they come in Harley riding blob ( extremely large ) sizes

enigma-2

Threads
My previous tractor wad made by AYP (same as your dad's Craftsman) and I had a simular problem (have yard professional rolled every spring, but turns to bumps and ruts anyway). When it died I bought a Simplicity and this seat is heaven compared to the old one. I still bounce, but its much more comfortable.

Gord Baker

Threads
I bought a seat for a Skid Steer or similar item with armrests. Seat Travel is the key.
I had to chain it halfway down but now I have 3-5" of travel. These seats can be adjusted to your weight.
Google Suspension Seats for farm use and see what you get. I had to fabricate a mounting plate so I could still railse it on my X320 JD.

Bellcrank

Threads
This craftsman tractor model number 917.272220 has this high back seat. Those low back seats are not comfortable.Seat part number :

401043​

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-06 at 16-53-07 Lawn Tractor Seat 401043 parts Sears PartsDirect.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-06 at 16-53-07 Lawn Tractor Seat 401043 parts Sears PartsDirect.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 3

Dave in MD

Threads
Craftsman 917255830 (t2500)
Was talking to my father the other day and he mentions he gets pretty sore after mowing his 2 acre yard. Kidney area and back hurts for days after mowing. The yard is flat but has some bumps/ruts in areas.
Anyone have experience with upgrading seat suspension either via a kit or using a different model's seat/set up and adapting it to fit?
Or is going slow truly the only way to solve this problem?
I have a similar issue, and have found an inexpensive solution for myself. I use a back brace, I got a $14.00 one from amazon, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XSP3QTQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The only negative is it will creep down and pinch so you have to dismount and readjust on occasion. The ones you see on ware house men with the suspenders would likely cure that.