SV840 ignition problem.

kj4ltc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Last week I noticed my mower with Kohler SV840 was only firing on one cylinder. I checked for fuel, spark, and compression. Found a no spark condition; upon further inspection found a bad wear mark in the plug wire. New coils came in today (Amazon) replaced faulty coil, set air gap. Started mower, still only one cylinder firing, swapped coils - known good coil to cylinder that wasn’t firing. No spark condition now changed to the other cylinder (with new coil). Next I unplugged the white wire (key off). The dead cylinder came alive! But if I reconnect that connector the coil dies out…..so I can run with one wire disconnected, but then have to pull the plug wire to shut it off because the key won’t kill the coil with the white wire unplugged. I’m sure it’s an obvious grounding issue to someone, but HELP

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kohler coils have diodes inside them to prevent the kill wires interfering with each other.
When you replace Kohler coils it is important to replace both .

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Last week I noticed my mower with Kohler SV840 was only firing on one cylinder. I checked for fuel, spark, and compression. Found a no spark condition; upon further inspection found a bad wear mark in the plug wire. New coils came in today (Amazon) replaced faulty coil, set air gap. Started mower, still only one cylinder firing, swapped coils - known good coil to cylinder that wasn’t firing. No spark condition now changed to the other cylinder (with new coil). Next I unplugged the white wire (key off). The dead cylinder came alive! But if I reconnect that connector the coil dies out…..so I can run with one wire disconnected, but then have to pull the plug wire to shut it off because the key won’t kill the coil with the white wire unplugged. I’m sure it’s an obvious grounding issue to someone, but HELP
Notice kj4ltc said coils, plural. Always best to replace coils in pairs, just like shock absorbers.
The coil is mounted to the engine so it is grounded. It has to be a break in the kill wire from coil that won’t shut off to ignition switch. Inspect wire and test and replace as necessary.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The problem he only replaced the one he thinks was bad when in fact he replaced the good one.

The problem here that when coils are connected the one that is firing is the bad coil. The steering diode is shorted and the killing the other coil. I know goes against most thinking of how something that is working how can it be bad. Kohler solution is to replace both coils at the same time. An alternate method would be to install a Briggs style kill harness, It will last for a while until the coil electronics finish dying which might years down the road. For us with the parts and tools we can make the alternate harness.

At the price of these OEM coils it worth a try anyway.

kj4ltc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Notice kj4ltc said coils, plural. Always best to replace coils in pairs, just like shock absorbers.
The coil is mounted to the engine so it is grounded. It has to be a break in the kill wire from coil that won’t shut off to ignition switch. Inspect wire and test and replace as necessary.
I replaced the kill wire between the 2 coils

kj4ltc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kohler coils have diodes inside them to prevent the kill wires interfering with each other.
When you replace Kohler coils it is important to replace both .
If that’s the case, are the coils side specific?

kj4ltc

Forum Newbie
Threads
The problem he only replaced the one he thinks was bad when in fact he replaced the good one.

The problem here that when coils are connected the one that is firing is the bad coil. The steering diode is shorted and the killing the other coil. I know goes against most thinking of how something that is working how can it be bad. Kohler solution is to replace both coils at the same time. An alternate method would be to install a Briggs style kill harness, It will last for a while until the coil electronics finish dying which might years down the road. For us with the parts and tools we can make the alternate harness.

At the price of these OEM coils it worth a try anyway.
The presumed bad coil had physical damage to the plug wire, where it had rubbed on something. Not going to say that it’s not possible for the other coil to also be faulty though. I’ll replace the other coil today and see if that helps anything.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If that’s the case, are the coils side specific?
No. But on some engines the kill tab faces up on the #2 cylinder and down on #1. But Kohler made a change with the coils some time back that changed them from a low voltage kill to a high voltage kill, and if the part numbers on the coils don't match the new high voltage kill can cook the old low voltage coil. And it has been my experience that when one coil fails the other one isn't too far behind. Especially on engines that require removal of the engine from the mower to replace the coils. Nothing like pulling an engine, replacing the bad coil get the engine reinstalled and the other coil fails on startup.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Don't you just hate the way they pack some of engines and other parts in where you got to half take the equipment apart just to replace the bad part. I recently had to pull an engine just to replace the remote starter solenoid. Or like the Gravely I did two weeks ago where the engine had be removed just to replace the main starter cable as a hydraulic hose was in the way and starter could not be removed. All because of a cheap connector Gravely used.

kj4ltc

Forum Newbie
Threads
No. But on some engines the kill tab faces up on the #2 cylinder and down on #1. But Kohler made a change with the coils some time back that changed them from a low voltage kill to a high voltage kill, and if the part numbers on the coils don't match the new high voltage kill can cook the old low voltage coil. And it has been my experience that when one coil fails the other one isn't too far behind. Especially on engines that require removal of the engine from the mower to replace the coils. Nothing like pulling an engine, replacing the bad coil get the engine reinstalled and the other coil fails on startup.
Mine was the old DSAI ignition that had been previously converted to MDI. It only takes a minute or so to access the coils. I’m going to replace the other old one today to see if the steering diode was in fact part of the problem.