SV610-3213 Fuel Delivery Problem?

The Push mower

Threads
Thanks for all the input everyone.

I did put a new carb on and the new carb acts exactly like the old carb.

To test vapor lock, I setup a floor fan on high to blow heat from the exhaust away from the carb since there is no heat shield on this mower (checked diagram to verify). I let the bowl fill with fuel then started mower and quickly increased RPMs to max and engaged the blades. Mower ran for about 60 seconds it started to cut out and die. I verified fuel flow all the way through to the carb.

Ground at the fuel solenoid was cleaned and checked when I replaced the carb a few days back, which was the first part I threw at this mower. Carb came with new electrical pigtail.

This mower has had a rough life. Looks like it fell off a trailer at 30mph.

Found some more craziness with this mower-it was taped but have a replacement in the mail....

free web image hosting

No heat shield:

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
so I looked up SV610-3213 and the parts diagram shows a 3 hose fuel pump. Part "24 393 16-S". I might start there and be sure it and the hoses are good. If the head gasket has blow by into the crankcase on that engine, it might cause fuel pump issues too if the signal is not clean that drives the pump.

The Push mower

Threads
so I looked up SV610-3213 and the parts diagram shows a 3 hose fuel pump. Part "24 393 16-S". I might start there and be sure it and the hoses are good. If the head gasket has blow by into the crankcase on that engine, it might cause fuel pump issues too if the signal is not clean that drives the pump.
Thanks! I was wondering if it required a fuel pump or not. The service manual only states there are two-types while leaving open the possibility that no fuel pump is also a possibility. Seems I ran across another very similar engine without a fuel pump so I kinda moved-on from the lack of fuel pump.

Fun fact: 329.3 hours on the engine.

Anyone else think this engine requires a fuel pump and that I should fit it with a pump? Seems we all think it is starving of fuel for some reason. Fuel tank is behind the engine (not under seat) and 21HP. Found this but don't see a fuel pump: https://www.purplewave.com/auction/130403/item/B5414/2011-Lawn_and_Garden-Lawn_and_Garden-Nebraska

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would look to see if one is on it.

kohlerope_2439316S.jpg

The Push mower

Threads
I would look to see if one is on it.
Definitely not one fitted on this mower that I can see on the speed control bracket or the air cleaner base according to p.21 of the Kohler service manual. Manual also states, "Some engines are equipped with one of two optional pulse fuel pumps." I am not convinced that this mower should not have one just because it is not present now. I have no clue what happened to this mower before me.

Based on the illustration on p.31 the hole the bracket attaches to is not threaded suggesting no fuel pump- at least for that mounting location.

EDIT: This guys mower does not appear to have a fuel pump (same engine and mower):

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know. You put up the model number. The manual shows a fuel pump. Are you the original owner? Has it ever worked right? Is it the original motor?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Courage singles that I have worked on that had a fuel pump the pump was mounted under the blower housing. With the fuel tank under the hood and not under the seat would suggest that no fuel pump was used.

With that being said. Kohler parts diagram shows that no fuel pump was used on that model and spec.

Gord Baker

Threads
Try removing the filter, and with an air source blow back towards the tank. Remove Tank Cap FIRST. Don't stand over the tank. Install new clear plastic covered filter in the correct direction. Clamp fuel line and remove Float Bowl. Inspect for debris and clean. With float bowl off carb, unclamp fuel line if this is a gravity fed system. Fuel should flow out of the carb. Carefully replace float bowl and gasket. You should be able to view fuel coming into the filter.

Gord Baker

Threads
So you write TV murder show scripts for living do you ?
Please put all of the observations in the original post.
Don't introduce new clues just after we have worked out who the murderer is :)
In that case I would be looking at a voltage drop and possibly a bad clutch which is drawing too much power .
The carb solenoid needs to see around 9V to stay open .
A bit hard to test unless you replace the solenoid with a short bolt then watch it t see if it springs open when the blades are engaged .I will not suggest clipping the plunger off because that illegal and it serves as a useful back up should the kill wire on the magneto fail ( happens ) .
Indeed Holmes.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Courage singles that I have worked on that had a fuel pump the pump was mounted under the blower housing. With the fuel tank under the hood and not under the seat would suggest that no fuel pump was used.

With that being said. Kohler parts diagram shows that no fuel pump was used on that model and spec.

Page I - look again