Stuck Gravely ZTR 152 Commercial

jaxontheweb

Threads
I installed a 3600 pound winch to the front of my Dixie Chopper a year ago and wired it directly to the battery and have no challenges with the charging or starting systems. I too live in the swamps of LA. and find myself mired in the muck. Only challenge now is the availability of trees to use as pulling locations. Some times have to resort to the tractor.

thebruce

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have to say this is first time I ever got stuck pointing downhill. May have to put some better tires on this thing.
Got the mower unstuck yesterday with a come-along and all the rope /strap/chain I own to reach the nearest tree. Damn thing popped loose and began free rolling down the hill (gravity) unassisted. When the turf tires are filled slick with gumbo...couldn't pull the hat off your head (as we like to say).

once on drier ground, I addressed the starting issue today. Still no joy. Mower makes no sound when turned on and starter engaged.
- Battery is charged.
Checked the 30a fuse under the seat (appeared fine), couldn't find the other mythical fuse. Doesn't seem like to much to ask that the fuses be clearly located and indicated in a published diagram.
- not sure how to test the PTO switch or seat switch.
- likewise with the brake switch.

I bought this mower used with just south of 350hrs (now has 378). Best I can tell it is a 2017 model. I have 6 acres to cut and I'm falling behind. Really don't want to have to double mow everything again to get caught up.

Suggestions appreciated. I will call a mechanic soon. It just galls me that I can't seem to figure it out. Probably should mention I am recently legally blind (tunnel vision). I mow using the Roomba algorythm mostly when I can't see the mow lines. So in all honesty I probably shouldn't fault anyone for my inability to find things.

Born2Mow

Threads
- not sure how to test the PTO switch or seat switch.
- likewise with the brake switch.
Congratulations on freeing the mower !

A very high percentage of the weight is placed on the drive wheels, so you've REALLY got to watch what the ground under them is like. Anything approaching moist is typically a no-no. Watch yourself around lakes and ponds. Just because it's firm enough to stand on to fish, does not mean it will support a mower.

On the switches... it depends on how the safety interlock system is wired. Some switches "make" the circuit, while others "break" the circuit. However, they all test the same way. Using the Ohm scale on a VOM, unplug the switch wiring, place the meter probes on the 2 switch terminals, then activate the switch. The meter should indicate "All & None" as the switch is repeatedly activated and released. Test the seat switch first, they seem to go out faster. (Something to do with BBQ and peach cobbler.)

And whatever you do about a bad Seat Switch... don't tell the wife. She'll simply say it's proof you need to loose weight ! :ROFLMAO:

thebruce

Forum Newbie
Threads
that helps on testing the switches..I can follow that...thanks!!

thebruce

Forum Newbie
Threads
Resolution of the starting problem was a bent brake internal no longer making sufficient contact.to close the circuit.
Thanks to all !!!