Striping! Gotta love it!!

Nwatson99

Threads
Most mowers stripe naturally. All my mowers stripe. All tho, if you want it to be heavily striped, you can add rollers, chains, etc.

How much longer does it last and it is more prominent until you mow again?
My stripes are visible up to 6 days if I can wait that long to mow, however on day 7 the striping has lost most of it's visibility, but it is still good enough so I know what direction I mowed the week prior so to change and more the opposite direction that day.
Usually with the normal weather I mow every 5 days, the rain last year had me mowing every 3 to 5 days.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
No point, just an observation I was actually coming back to see how longs it lasts, never knew there was such a tool or needed to make stripes in the grass, don't you need to go do some reading and learn more about the harmful effects corn gas?

There are no harmful effects from corn gas.

I think it's safe to say the stripes last till the grass grows to tall and should have been cut already.

Every mower will stripe. The stripe kit really was used to eliminate the tire tracks.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
How much longer does it last and it is more prominent until you mow again?
My stripes are visible up to 6 days if I can wait that long to mow, however on day 7 the striping has lost most of it's visibility, but it is still good enough so I know what direction I mowed the week prior so to change and more the opposite direction that day.
Usually with the normal weather I mow every 5 days, the rain last year had me mowing every 3 to 5 days.
Can you post some pics of the striping that JD leaves next time you mow? As has been stated, almost all mowers leave a "mild" stripe naturally...but to get the pronounced effect like seen on baseball fields, etc. most will need modification(deck heeled and/or a striping kit). Pictures would be worth a thousand words.

Nwatson99

Threads
Can you post some pics of the striping that JD leaves next time you mow? As has been stated, almost all mowers leave a "mild" stripe naturally...but to get the pronounced effect like seen on baseball fields, etc. most will need modification(deck heeled and/or a striping kit). Pictures would be worth a thousand words.

I sure will, like I said I am just wanting to know more about this since I never knew there were devices to make the stripes while mowing since my mower has striped since I day I had it and I am just hoping which I am sure it will the new one will stripe as good as the Z930A.
I did with the Z960R get the MOD deck for around the house and driveway to eliminate the clippings flying on the driveway and house, so I will report on how that deck works after I get it and mow with it.

Nwatson99

Threads
There are no harmful effects from corn gas.

I think it's safe to say the stripes last till the grass grows to tall and should have been cut already.

Every mower will stripe. The stripe kit really was used to eliminate the tire tracks.

Okay tire tracks, next time I mow I will get some photos and I thought the tire tracks actually accented the striping, but I am not a mowing business or anything this is just my place I have to compare to, but there are some property close by to me that do use mowing companies and I cannot say their mowing looks better than mine.
With that said down around the Lexington area the striping is more visible and prominent so I guess that is how they are making it look that way by using these striping kits.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
Nothing special gator blades and 4" cutting height. Yes professionally maintain athletic turf does use rollers striping kits etc to get their pattens. But they also use speciality grasses that would be near impossible to maintain in a residential lawn. Some guys do use stripe kits for more definition but most all commercial mowers will stripe without the assistance of any novelty striping kit. It just takes a healthy lawn and proper cutting height. These newer commercial mowers don't require any toeing or whatever other outdated techniques to accomplish striping. It's caused by tip speed and air volume being pushed under the deck.
ForumRunner_20140516_193242.png

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Okay tire tracks, next time I mow I will get some photos and I thought the tire tracks actually accented the striping, but I am not a mowing business or anything this is just my place I have to compare to, but there are some property close by to me that do use mowing companies and I cannot say their mowing looks better than mine. With that said down around the Lexington area the striping is more visible and prominent so I guess that is how they are making it look that way by using these striping kits.

Some people like the tire marks. I think it makes it look sloppy with wide tire lines.

You are right most so called pro's don't do any better then most home owners.

Not everyone like their yard striped.
I do not use a kit. I heal my deck but mostly because it gives a better cut going fast

Nwatson99

Threads
Some people like the tire marks. I think it makes it look sloppy with wide tire lines.

You are right most so called pro's don't do any better then most home owners.

Not everyone like their yard striped.
I do not use a kit. I heal my deck but mostly because it gives a better cut going fast

Okay well keep the info coming greatly appreciated, on my JD I have teh deck height set to cut 3.25" it is not "scalping" the lawn by any means and actually the grass is higher than what the JD's you buy from lowes or some box store, so is that too high for striping?
Also what does it mean to heal your deck?
My anti-scalp wheels do roll when I am in the grass mowing, but on concrete they do not, they actually are about 3/16" to 1/4" above the concrete.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Heeling meens your deck is lower in the back than the front. A techinique I use quite a bit in normal cutting conditions.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Okay well keep the info coming greatly appreciated, on my JD I have teh deck height set to cut 3.25" it is not "scalping" the lawn by any means and actually the grass is higher than what the JD's you buy from lowes or some box store, so is that too high for striping? Also what does it mean to heal your deck? My anti-scalp wheels do roll when I am in the grass mowing, but on concrete they do not, they actually are about 3/16" to 1/4" above the concrete.

Sorry to hear you have a JD

But happy to hear you do not scalp your yard. I see it all the time people cutting down to the dirt.

3 inches is good for striping thick blade grass.

When people ask why I heal my deck. I give them a little test. Make one pass with the mower going forward then move over a couple feet and make a pass going backwards at the same speed. On most mowers the backwards pass will look better. There have been a few people come on here and ask why their mower cuts better in reverse.

Anti scalp wheels should sit just like you have them.

You can get creative with striping. Like half moons. Does not always have to be a straight line.

Post done pics we like looking at cut grass