Strange oil usage.

tagpop

Threads
Change the oil and filter. Remove the old gas and give it another try. Check your gas container it maybe dirty, old, or just bad from the pump. I got a baby lizard out of my 16hp tank this year (that a mystery).

Big Jon

Threads
I don't think the Seafoam is the culprit. I have been using it since I was a kid & my Dad used it long before he turned me onto it, some 50 yrs ago.
I agree, I've been using Sea Foam since I quit using StaBil at least 25 years ago.
Quick update on this: I took it to our local Cub dealer. (Not where I purchased it.) Their mechanic says it's building back pressure. He did not go into the engine at all, but called Kohler and they told him it sounds like the rings have never seated and it's now blowing oil by. They said I have two choices. 1st choice is to change the oil that has approximately 2 hours on it, to a good synthetic and go out & get the engine good & hot to try to seat the rings. First of all the mower is now 8 years old and has never used a drop of oil until this mowing season, (pretty sure the rings were seated...) and it has had the oil changed every 20-25 engine hours and has never had any oil except genuine Kohler 10W30 which is the oil that Kohler recommends for this engine. The 2nd choice they say I have is to have a new short block installed @ an estimated cost of $1,800. If I would choose to go with a new short block, I would have to wait for one to be made because there are none available and they could not give an ETA on a new head. I asked their "mechanic" why I couldn't just have my engine rebuilt if they tore it down & found an issue and he said "Oh we don't do that." I am not very impressed with Kohler at this point, and I am pretty sure I'm done going back to our local dealer. The mower is back home again and I will take it to the dealer I purchased it from next week. He has assured me they will find the problem & get it fixed.

Big Jon

Threads
You know how these small engines make a lot of carbon? And that Seafoam dissolves said carbon? Which means all that hard grit is now inside the bore, piston rings, valve guides and so on? Puts a lot of wear on an engine. Ever wonder when you remove a head, you see big bore scratches? That hard carbon you have to use a hardened metal scraper to remove gets in places where it shouldn't be.

None of the small engine manufacturers recommend Seafoam for either fuel or oil mixes.

What is recommended is de-carbonizing your engine at periodic intervals. It's in every small engine manual I've seen.

slomo
How much carbon can accumulate in a new engine, in 150 hours? I've been using SeaFoam in my small engines for 25-30 years or more without a single issue. I call BS on your theory. I guess I'll owe you an apology once I get my mower back from the dealer I bought it from, if he tells me my engine is worn out from all the carbon that slushed off because I used SeaFoam in it...

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I buy seafoam by the gallon can. I do a bit of work on older tractors for folks and seafoam in the oil and gas does wonders for old engines. Never had one blow up, catch fire, seize, sctratch the cylinders, or become demon possessed. If you follow any of the tractor forums seafoam gets a lot of recommendations.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I buy seafoam by the gallon can. I do a bit of work on older tractors for folks and seafoam in the oil and gas does wonders for old engines. Never had one blow up, catch fire, seize, sctratch the cylinders, or become demon possessed. If you follow any of the tractor forums seafoam gets a lot of recommendations.
Tractor engines have either a steel sleeve or cast iron bores. Can we talk about mower engines on this topic?

Most mower engines are aluminum bores. Sure some use cast iron sleeves. Bulk are aluminum. See where this is going? Carbon breaking loose from Seafoam, running on a soft aluminum bore does what class?

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
How much carbon can accumulate in a new engine, in 150 hours? I've been using SeaFoam in my small engines for 25-30 years or more without a single issue. I call BS on your theory. I guess I'll owe you an apology once I get my mower back from the dealer I bought it from, if he tells me my engine is worn out from all the carbon that slushed off because I used SeaFoam in it...
How about on a very common push mower engine, ran maybe say 30 minutes? Yours having 300 times more run time on it. Say it again 300 times more run time.

Now back to reality. All mower engines are filthy burners. Most have no EFI and O2 sensors to burn clean. Not to mention horrible combustion chamber shapes to assist in burning. Tear down a mower engine. You pick the brand. Don't care if it says Rolls Royce on it. It will be LOADED with carbon. Now start dumping your ultra extreme magic juice in it to dislodge said carbon. Have you ever tried to clean a mower cylinder head? You need a tough steel scraper to remove it while scratching away of course. Stuff is tenacious. Look for your self.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would use tap water (free) before spending $10 bucks on a can of seafoam to remove carbon. Ever heard of steam cleaning the inside of your engine?

slomo

guyina4x4

Threads
99% It's a bad head gasket.
1% rings
0% seafoam

I buy kohler command head gaskets by the dozen.
They fail between the cyl and the oil return. The oil turns the gasket mushy and opens the crankcase to combustion gas/ pressure.
Low hours doesn't mean anything to the headgasket.

It's a problem that can be fixed for less than $50 in parts and 2-3 hours of your time.

Big Jon

Threads
99% It's a bad head gasket.
1% rings
0% seafoam

I buy kohler command head gaskets by the dozen.
They fail between the cyl and the oil return. The oil turns the gasket mushy and opens the crankcase to combustion gas/ pressure.
Low hours doesn't mean anything to the headgasket.

It's a problem that can be fixed for less than $50 in parts and 2-3 hours of your time.
This is my guess also. Hopefully I'll know for sure by the end of next week.