Strange gcv160 choke configuration.

keeferbdeefer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all. New to the forum but hope to contribute along the way. I picked up a brand new gcv160 but it has a strange choke set up. The little backwards L piece to the right of the filter housing is how to apply the choke but nothing holds it in place so it just flips back. The part to its right with the large washer is actually two pieces held with that vertical spring but nothing is attached at the top to ever fight against the spring. I just can’t figure out what’s going on here. Thanks.

Attachments

• 14132272-DDEC-4CFA-8A62-2ED2E61981E4.jpeg
    14132272-DDEC-4CFA-8A62-2ED2E61981E4.jpeg
    405 KB · Views: 12

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
the throttle holds the choke open
So unless the throttle is in the choke position the choke will spring off
in your photo
As the front plate rotates clockwise the tab just below the spring on the left side will engage the arm to the left of it and close the choke.
Usually there is a long bolt that is used to adjust the on & off position of the choke but I have not touched one of these engines for ages as no one fits Honda engines any more except Honda & they are stopping production very shortly.

keeferbdeefer

Forum Newbie
Threads
the throttle holds the choke open
So unless the throttle is in the choke position the choke will spring off
in your photo
As the front plate rotates clockwise the tab just below the spring on the left side will engage the arm to the left of it and close the choke.
Usually there is a long bolt that is used to adjust the on & off position of the choke but I have not touched one of these engines for ages as no one fits Honda engines any more except Honda & they are stopping production very shortly.
Thanks. OK I see it now. My mower has only on and off throttle handle. No choke position. So there’s no way for me to use this as is. I would need to pull it WAY on to activate the choke and then scale back to less throttle to keep it on but short of choke. I may end up installing an auto choke system to get around this.

keeferbdeefer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I really like how long these engines last. I have a working mower right now but it’s 20 years old with the same engine. I’m anticipating it dying one day and I snagged this one while they were still available

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a universal choke cable
Cut the tab the turns the choke on off then drill a hole on the other end to fit the choke cable to
The other thing that engine has is a flywheel brake , unless your mower used an engine that had a flywheel brake, it might be just to complicated to set it up as the brake also activates the magneto switch

keeferbdeefer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Get a universal choke cable
Cut the tab the turns the choke on off then drill a hole on the other end to fit the choke cable to
The other thing that engine has is a flywheel brake , unless your mower used an engine that had a flywheel brake, it might be just to complicated to set it up as the brake also activates the magneto switch
It’s just a basic push mower. It has a Honda GCV160 engine on it already. It’s not self propelled. Very basic. Hopefully this new one would be a direct swap if it came down to that?