Stone work

mystreba

Threads
Anyone else undertaking stone projects? I recently finished a project to build four stone columns and some craftsman-style fence panels. It was my first try with stone, and it was frankly easier than I thought. They aren't perfect, but I'm satisfied with the first effort. The hard part was building the footers and the block columns. I've since done some interior stone work, and you definitely get faster and better at fitment as you go. I'd like to try my hand at dry stack walls someday. If anyone else is trying stone, I'd like to hear your experiences.

Hand2ThePlow

Threads
Anyone else undertaking stone projects? I recently finished a project to build four stone columns and some craftsman-style fence panels. It was my first try with stone, and it was frankly easier than I thought. They aren't perfect, but I'm satisfied with the first effort. The hard part was building the footers and the block columns. I've since done some interior stone work, and you definitely get faster and better at fitment as you go. I'd like to try my hand at dry stack walls someday. If anyone else is trying stone, I'd like to hear your experiences.

My wife's family farm is littered with stone barn foundations, I'd like to harvest the stone for retaining walls but just don't ever seem to have the time.

How about some pics of your work, maybe it'll inspire me to action. :smile:

mystreba

Threads
Yes, there was an old foundation on a farm near me, and it was very tempting. Until I discovered how much work it is just to lay the stone, much less salvage it. At a few hundred dollars per ton, you're far better off going to the local stone center and selecting some field stone.

How about some pics of your work, maybe it'll inspire me to action. :smile:

This is the fence project. Again, first time so be kind! The work I'm doing in the house is much "tighter", and in fact I've now built two walls without any mortar in the joints because it's so tight.

Don't look at the grass - it's embarrassingly hideous!

IMG_4508.jpg

Last edited:

173abn

Threads
did most of my house with stone,finished my deck last year.even though it takes more time to do ,if done right will last a lifetime.plus no more painting. russ

mystreba

Threads
did most of my house with stone,finished my deck last year.even though it takes more time to do ,if done right will last a lifetime.plus no more painting. russ

Do you have any pics?

mystreba

Threads
Today I installed 7 tons of crushed stone for a pathway - one shovel full at a time. I'm getting too old for this...

173abn

Threads
mystreba, where I live only dial up is offered and i'm not sure I got the knowledge on how to send pics.i'll try if I can figgure it out. russ

mystreba

Threads
i'm not sure I got the knowledge on how to send pics.i'll try if I can figgure it out. russ

You can't post directly. There are several free photo hosting sites (I use photobucket.com) where you can upload your photos. Once they're uploaded, you will have the ability to ontain the link to it - basically a www.blah.blah.blah string. You can then use this string to post the photo here at lawnmowerforum. When constructing your post, click the "Insert Image" button - this will bring up a dialogue box. Paste the string from your photo hosting site into the dialogue box.

Hand2ThePlow

Threads
You can't post (photos) directly...

Sure you can. Instead of using the "Insert Image" button use the "Attachments" button, the one that looks like a paper clip. The first option is to upload files from your computer and is inserted as a thumbnail. Click on the thumbnail and it displays the full size image.

Like this...

Attachments

• hawkhelmet.JPG
    hawkhelmet.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 3

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
mystreba, where I live only dial up is offered russ

If you get a cell phone signal you can get a cellular air card for your computer -- most all cellular providers offer one. Not cheap, but you'll never go back to dial-up !