Stihl Trimmer

navistar82

Threads
My wife and I bought a new house with a couple acres of woods. The woods has quite a few of little 1"-1.5" diameter saplings. I'm going to buy a Stihl trimmer with the scratcher saw blade attachment to take out the saplings.

Take into consideration that when Im done removing the saplings, it will be used as a basic trimmer. Probably a good 4 hours will get rid of them all. I need a trimmer regardless of the situation, but I dont want to buy something meant for harsh everyday use when it wont be used like that after a few hours of me owning it.

Main question, which trimmer will be the best bet without spending too much money for a basic trimmer, but still stout?

Thanks

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you sure you want to do what you asking with Stihl because it will not be cheap?

navistar82

Threads
Well, I'm a stihl guy and would like to keep it that way. I'm hoping a model will suit my needs for under $300.

jc56

Threads
I have a FS80 with string head and saw blade attachments.I've owned it since about 2004 or so.I think I gave about $175 or so for it.I don't know what one would cost now.About a year ago I had to put a coil on it .But other than that,clean the screen in the muffler and adjust the carb every once in a while, and you will be in business.I would certainly recommend one to anyone.If I needed one today....I guess that's what I would buy.I had an old Mac.....I had it for 19 years or so,it finally bit the dust and I bought this one.You won't be disappointed if you buy one.Hope this helped!!!jc:thumbsup:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, I'm a stihl guy and would like to keep it that way. I'm hoping a model will suit my needs for under $300.

Stihl's recommendations say Scratcher Tooth Steel blades for cutting and clearing brush, vines and saplings must be used with limit stop instead of standard deflector. The unit has too be equipped with bicycle handles and double shoulder harness so you would be looking at $279 for the FS 56C-E Occasional use trimmer. You can also buy the FC 70RC-E Professional use trimmer for the same price but it doesn't have the bicycle handles.

Parkmower

Threads
I'd just rent a brush trimmer for a weekend. And buy a plain string trimmer

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a FS80 with string head and saw blade attachments.I've owned it since about 2004 or so.I think I gave about $175 or so for it.I don't know what one would cost now.About a year ago I had to put a coil on it .But other than that,clean the screen in the muffler and adjust the carb every once in a while, and you will be in business.I would certainly recommend one to anyone.If I needed one today....I guess that's what I would buy.I had an old Mac.....I had it for 19 years or so,it finally bit the dust and I bought this one.You won't be disappointed if you buy one.Hope this helped!!!jc:thumbsup:

As far as I know and I may be wrong on this but I don't believe Stihl has the Pro Series stuff anymore and if you can find it will probably be the last of the 2 stroke stuff. The last price I saw on the FS 80 was like $279. Just like my FC 75 edger, it went away in favor of the New Technology. (4 mix)

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
I don't know about Navistar, but I'm reached the age where I no longer want to throwaway money. That is a balancing act, I'm not going to pay for features I don't need, but I want something that will do the job and last with proper maintenance. I fully intend to replace my trimmer and chain saw with Stihl units when they die. And if you're staying there a while, the scrub will grow back in 3-4 years, so you'll be using the saw again. As an aside, I had a 15 hp DR mower; expensive,but that much fun should be illegal. It would knock down and chew up 6 foot tall stuff just like the commercial. It also ate a lot of small trees, albeit with a couple of passes to chew them up.

Last edited: