Export thread

Stihl Trimmer

N

navistar82

My wife and I bought a new house with a couple acres of woods. The woods has quite a few of little 1"-1.5" diameter saplings. I'm going to buy a Stihl trimmer with the scratcher saw blade attachment to take out the saplings.

Take into consideration that when Im done removing the saplings, it will be used as a basic trimmer. Probably a good 4 hours will get rid of them all. I need a trimmer regardless of the situation, but I dont want to buy something meant for harsh everyday use when it wont be used like that after a few hours of me owning it.

Main question, which trimmer will be the best bet without spending too much money for a basic trimmer, but still stout?

Thanks

Ric

Ric

Are you sure you want to do what you asking with Stihl because it will not be cheap?

N

navistar82

Well, I'm a stihl guy and would like to keep it that way. I'm hoping a model will suit my needs for under $300.

J

jc56

I have a FS80 with string head and saw blade attachments.I've owned it since about 2004 or so.I think I gave about $175 or so for it.I don't know what one would cost now.About a year ago I had to put a coil on it .But other than that,clean the screen in the muffler and adjust the carb every once in a while, and you will be in business.I would certainly recommend one to anyone.If I needed one today....I guess that's what I would buy.I had an old Mac.....I had it for 19 years or so,it finally bit the dust and I bought this one.You won't be disappointed if you buy one.Hope this helped!!!jc:thumbsup:

Ric

Ric

Well, I'm a stihl guy and would like to keep it that way. I'm hoping a model will suit my needs for under $300.

Stihl's recommendations say Scratcher Tooth Steel blades for cutting and clearing brush, vines and saplings must be used with limit stop instead of standard deflector. The unit has too be equipped with bicycle handles and double shoulder harness so you would be looking at $279 for the FS 56C-E Occasional use trimmer. You can also buy the FC 70RC-E Professional use trimmer for the same price but it doesn't have the bicycle handles.

N

navistar82

Ok, thanks guys. Ill look into the models you mentioned.

Parkmower

Parkmower

I'd just rent a brush trimmer for a weekend. And buy a plain string trimmer

N

navistar82

I'd just rent a brush trimmer for a weekend. And buy a plain string trimmer

Already looked into it. Nobody in my area rents trimmers. I live in rural Indiana. But thanks for the reply.

Ric

Ric

I have a FS80 with string head and saw blade attachments.I've owned it since about 2004 or so.I think I gave about $175 or so for it.I don't know what one would cost now.About a year ago I had to put a coil on it .But other than that,clean the screen in the muffler and adjust the carb every once in a while, and you will be in business.I would certainly recommend one to anyone.If I needed one today....I guess that's what I would buy.I had an old Mac.....I had it for 19 years or so,it finally bit the dust and I bought this one.You won't be disappointed if you buy one.Hope this helped!!!jc:thumbsup:

As far as I know and I may be wrong on this but I don't believe Stihl has the Pro Series stuff anymore and if you can find it will probably be the last of the 2 stroke stuff. The last price I saw on the FS 80 was like $279. Just like my FC 75 edger, it went away in favor of the New Technology. (4 mix)

Grass ala Mowed

Grass ala Mowed

I don't know about Navistar, but I'm reached the age where I no longer want to throwaway money. That is a balancing act, I'm not going to pay for features I don't need, but I want something that will do the job and last with proper maintenance. I fully intend to replace my trimmer and chain saw with Stihl units when they die. And if you're staying there a while, the scrub will grow back in 3-4 years, so you'll be using the saw again. As an aside, I had a 15 hp DR mower; expensive,but that much fun should be illegal. It would knock down and chew up 6 foot tall stuff just like the commercial. It also ate a lot of small trees, albeit with a couple of passes to chew them up.

N

navistar82

I don't know about Navistar, but I'm reached the age where I no longer want to throwaway money. That is a balancing act, I'm not going to pay for features I don't need, but I want something that will do the job and last with proper maintenance. QUOTE]

Bingo, couldn't have said it better...but I know my wife wont go for the DR.

Grass ala Mowed

Grass ala Mowed

My ex-wife took the DR ... along with the 17 acres it was intended for. :laughing: For any of my future needs, that would probably be too much features, but a $300 Stihl wouldn't be.

N

navistar82

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

N

navistar82

Well, I found a rental place about 50 miles from my house that rents the actual stihl brush cutter. $55 for the weekend. It will be worth the drive for that.

P

possum

With woods comes tree trimming and large branch falls. I would buy a small chainsaw and cut the saplings, and a trimmer to do my grass trimming.

N

navistar82

I have 2 stihl saws, one for limbing and one for felling. I'm 6'8", getting tired of damn near laying down to cut the them out. My back isn't liking it either.

Grass ala Mowed

Grass ala Mowed

If you got two Stihl chainsaws, convincing "management" that you "need" a Stihl trimmer should be easy. :wink:

N

navistar82

:ashamed:
If you got two Stihl chainsaws, convincing "management" that you "need" a Stihl trimmer should be easy. :wink:

Power of persuasion is a wonderful thing :biggrin: Just like we need one more longaberger baking dish , what's one more stihl product gonna hurt.

Grass ala Mowed

Grass ala Mowed

I like how you think! Today I decided to replace a ratty bed comforter my ex left me. It was leaking feathers and the fabric is dry rotted. Started looking here and there and then I looked at the ratty comforter for the brand, realized it was 20+ years old and immediately ordered from the same company. I can afford their prices every 20 years.

J

jenkinsph

I have an FS or FX100RS Stilh string trimmer, I don't care for the saw cutters, this is for string only. Uses a .095 line, has good power to keep up to speed and light enough in weight to hang on to for awhile. Seems to work well enough for larger weeds in most cases. If this doesn't get it I break out a DR trimmer mower or brush hog.