Stihl FS 38 trimmer mystery!!!!!!!!!!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I had one sent back to me, guy couldn't get it to hit on anything. Turns out that the crank had been pressed together in the incorrect position and the timing was way off, but in your case, I don't know. Also, give us all of the numbers on your coil, and also the flywheel if you have it off.

goosemasterkl

Threads
The trimmer had been running good until he let his brother-in-law use it and he thought he had just flooded it and it hasn't ran since which leaves us to where we're at right now.

goosemasterkl

Threads
Fish here's a picture of the flywheel magnets at TDC.20200830_105318~2.jpg

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a brand new fs38 at TDC.

TDC 003.JPG

goosemasterkl

Threads
The position of the magnets looks the same don't they? It's an aftermarket coil; but the old one looks the same way.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The position of the magnets looks the same don't they? It's an aftermarket coil; but the old one looks the same way.
How are you trying to get it to start?

Try starting with the kill wires unplugged, and do not choke it or prime it.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Last year guy brought in an FS38 that wouldn't run. Could only get an occasional pop out of it. Drove me nuts. Guy finally said he bought a tuneup kit off ebay. New carb, coil, fuel lines, fuel and air filter. Had him bring me the old coil. Both looked identical except for stihl numbers. Put old coil on it it fired right up. Have to admit the china carb actually worked but coil had spark but timing was all wrong.

goosemasterkl

Threads
Fish; I've tried it with the kill switch wires unhooked; I might not have tried starting it without squeezing the throttle trigger. But I think I have but I'll try it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
get a bar magnet or compass and check the polarity of the magnets
Note they must pass in the right direction or the chip will not trigger at the right time
Same as putting a mower coil on upside down.