Stihl BR 400 blower

rjb2010

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older Stihl BR 400 blower not working. Seems to be the ignition coil. Can't find the replacement on line that has the 2 connection points (one is a wire and one is a male end terminal) not including the spark plug connection. Nothing online I see shows this type. Dealer wants $46 for it, but I am not sure if this is the only problem and the machine is somewhat older (part number is 4203-400-1301) Mine has the spark plug connector coming out between the 2 mounting holes. Those online come out a different location.IMG_20180418_131041738.jpg Any help would be appreciated.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is right out of the STIHL Parts Manual , you may want to verify with a STIHL dealer about the IGN. lead, as I'm not sure it comes with it or not ( it appears too ) see attachments.

1111A Manl.PNG..1 A A Wire.PNG..11AAA LIST.PNG

It appears this coil is also used on other machines as well (see top of Manual attach.)

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Stihl section.

mstrymn36

Forum Newbie
Threads
i need a wiring diagram for stihl br 400 coil installation

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The ring terminal is a ground wire which would have gone to the nearest boit that went into something metal to provide a ground
The tab terminal goes to the switch and goes to ground to turn the blower off.
This is because the original coil is electrically isolated from the laminations.
The cheaper replacement makes the same connection via the laminations.
Electrically there is very little difference.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a bulletin.

Attachments

• br400bulletin.pdf
    38.2 KB · Views: 17

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have an older Stihl BR 400 blower not working. Seems to be the ignition coil. Can't find the replacement on line that has the 2 connection points (one is a wire and one is a male end terminal) not including the spark plug connection. Nothing online I see shows this type. Dealer wants $46 for it, but I am not sure if this is the only problem and the machine is somewhat older (part number is 4203-400-1301) Mine has the spark plug connector coming out between the 2 mounting holes. Those online come out a different location.View attachment 37221 Any help would be appreciated.

Have you bench tested the coil you have to see if it's good or not? I was working on a Briggs push mower yesterday and everything said it was the coil. No spark with the spark tester. But the meter said it was good. I put that coil on another mower, and it worked fine.

AVB

Threads
Also note the leads are replaceable as they do break especially the spring that plug attaches to the lead.

AVB

Threads
BTW Tnx Fish for the bulletin on the coils I filed it away here with the rest of my Stihl Manuals