Sten's Belts

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are Sten's belts any good for a Toro mower? 99-1597. Plan to do service on the Toro walk behind this week and the genuine belt is a full week out but I can have a Sten's belt tomorrow.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
thanks. I found a new sten's one in the garage I got as a spare, have the filter and spark plug in spares too so sounds like I am good to go. Just need to run to get some oil.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I fit mostly Stens belts and rarely have a problem with their OEM spec belts
The standard belts I rarely ever use because very few are the right sizes for mowers.

EA6BMECH

Threads
I use Stens and for the most part don't have any issues. Now on my Scag Tiger Cat, I've eaten 2 belt in less than 20 hours. These are made in India and only cost $30 each. I'm pretty sure they use to cost $45. The inside shreds and slings the belt. I noticed after reading bad reviews on Amazon, that the last 3 spares I bought were thicker belts. I have a Scag on order, and I do need to idler pulleys for the drive changed, but I'd say there's no way the pulleys would be responsible for what happened. I might have less than 600 hours on the Scag, but I torture it on the hills. I usually only get 100 hours on a drive belt.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Question here. Are you putting fabric cover belts on the hydro belt drive system? IF so that is the problem as the Tuff Tiger hydro pump drive belt is a raw edge belt.

EA6BMECH

Threads
Well if this answers your question, I use a cogged belt.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I ran my own busuness I used a lot of Sten's parts but where I work now we don't. I found that at that time Sten's Probably had the best after market parts in the industry.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well I just had a customer with bad experience with a Stens 265-559 deck belt. Belt was installed and only last five days before it came apart. Stens did refund me the belt's cost and I of course refunded the customer. But for the customer saving $15 was not worth it as he had to drop everything and go the JD dealer and get a new belt. That belt has been mower three weeks now.

The customer had 5 out of 5 Stens spindles to fail on his Z925A and Z950R mowers. Again Stens made us whole by crediting me and me crediting the customer. Currently we are going to try the Rotary spindles as they have the same one year warranty.

But overall so far in the last 7 years of being a Stens dealer most products purchase from have preformed well. And Stens does stand by their products.

EA6BMECH

Threads
I just ordered what I believe to be an OEM drive belt. $75 Ouch!!, but I've gotta see if it's the belts that I bought that aren't so good, or I really have some issue under there that is stripping the inside of the belts. Still looks like they made some that are too fat and it's squeezing them apart. Looked at all the pulleys and changed one idler out because it had a tad of slop in the bearing. I just don't wanna get 2 miles from home and it lets loose, or up back on a hill. Orilleys gave a me a Gates generic belt and said "trust me". 1/2" and looks like it would go on some 42" rider. Afraid ti even put it on.