steering and deck

berkztr

Threads
Just note you will need a High-Torque Number 4 Phillips (cross point) Bit, 5/16" Hex driver to remove the screw. A Number 3 Phillips will not work. The bit I use can be used with an impact as the screw has Loctite on it holding it place.
Yes, will pay attention. Watching utube, one guy was going to replace the screw with a same size bolt. Can't see any reason that won't work. mmmh! if they both have loctite they should stay in place.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Think that they a round head because the drive belt hits the head of the screw and a hex head would have some sharp edges. I have in the past use a hex head myself until I got the right screws. If you look at the area you will where the belt has polished the metal.

Screw size is 5/16-18 x .75

Of course I am cheapskate as I am using an after market that cost $0.26 (I sale them for $0.52 ea) vs the 710-1309 screw which retails for $3.15. Plus I buy them 25 at a time.

Last edited:

berkztr

Threads
Think that they a round head because the drive belt hits the head of the screw and a hex head would have some sharp edges. I have in the past use a hex head myself until I got the right screws. If you look at the area you will where the belt has polished the metal.

Screw size is 5/16-18 x .75

Of course I am cheapskate as I am using an after market that cost $0.26 (I sale them for $0.52 ea) vs the 710-1309 screw which retails for $3.15. Plus I buy them 25 at a time.
yeah that makes sense, have managed to get 2 screws that came with the other items i ordered. will use them then

berkztr

Threads
Hi again Star, just got the new screw from Amazon, it has red stuff on the thread screw 7101309.jpg does that mean it already has Loctite (red) on it or do i still put 242 Loctite Blue on as well or....?? have also found a #4 Phillips head bit on Amazon which i can put in my impact drill, nobody seems to stock that bit around here. Also will i need to remove the mower deck to get to the screw. :confused:

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know but in every other steering i have worked on, it is really easier if one person turns the steering wheel back and forth while the other looks to see where the slop is. It can be more than one place.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hi again Star, just got the new screw from Amazon, it has red stuff on the thread View attachment 60178 does that mean it already has Loctite (red) on it or do i still put 242 Loctite Blue on as well or....?? have also found a #4 Phillips head bit on Amazon which i can put in my impact drill, nobody seems to stock that bit around here. Also will i need to remove the mower deck to get to the screw. :confused:
It already has the Loctite on it, no need for any additional Loctite. And yes removing the deck and raising does make things a lot easier to do.

And I not surprise that no one stocks the #4. Most places just stock fast moving items. I cant even find a #3 cross point around here. This why McMasters get a lot of hardware orders from me. Just got in some Grade 8 5/8-11 x 2.25 armor plated (Zinc-Aluminum coated) screws yesterday. No one locally even had a plain non grade 5/8-11 x 2.25 screw around here. It is also why Amazon get a lot of my tool orders as many places can't even order the tools I need.

berkztr

Threads
Yeaah! #4 Phillips head driver, has arrived from amazon #4Phillips_3.jpg. waiting for a few more bits before i perform mechanical feats

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The rack and pinion steering system wears at an accelerated rate because those weren't designed to be lubricated . OH , but they can be lubed and they have been on every mower i've owned with a steering wheel .

berkztr

Threads
The rack and pinion steering system wears at an accelerated rate because those weren't designed to be lubricated . OH , but they can be lubed and they have been on every mower i've owned with a steering wheel .
Thanks old fella, Have some "Permatex Anti Seize Lub" all i could get here, seems to be graphite and aluminum based, good for upto 1600F. Perfomance of mechanical feats not started yet.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You use a dry lubricant
Most will use dry Lithium spray grease
You can also use dry chain wax from a push bike shop but that is more expensive
You do not want to put anything there that stays wet or sticky because that will collect dirt & dust which will becomes a grinding paste