Starts, dies and no power to display

TNKid

Forum Newbie
Threads
The last time mowing, it just died. Now, If I unhook the battery and reconnect, it starts but dies immediately, like a kill switch. There is no power to the display after it dies. I can unhook the battery and repeat the process. The display remains off until the battery is disconnected again. I've almost decided it's the key switch, but its odd that I have to remove the battery terminal to reset it. Is there something else it could be?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What machine is it
the yellow and white one....
In all seriousness, the model number will be on a tag under the seat of the mower., should start with 13xxxxxxx

TNKid

Forum Newbie
Threads
the yellow and white one....
In all seriousness, the model number will be on a tag under the seat of the mower., should start with 13xxxxxxx
Mine starts with 17. I replied with it above, if that's the right number.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So you are talking about a ZTR
People really make it difficult to help them when we have no idea about what the actual machine is
Scrubby ( and I ) thought you had a garden tractor
So to get my head around what you are saying
1) you were mowing happily along then suddenly without any warning the mower just quit
2) when it quit there was no indication of any electrical power, like the fuse had bown or the battery was dead flat
3) you disconnected the battery leads and every thing worked perfectly, the mower cranked up & started then suddenly stopped again
4) this happens repeatidly
Is this what is happening ?

TNKid

Forum Newbie
Threads
So you are talking about a ZTR
People really make it difficult to help them when we have no idea about what the actual machine is
Scrubby ( and I ) thought you had a garden tractor
So to get my head around what you are saying
1) you were mowing happily along then suddenly without any warning the mower just quit
2) when it quit there was no indication of any electrical power, like the fuse had bown or the battery was dead flat
3) you disconnected the battery leads and every thing worked perfectly, the mower cranked up & started then suddenly stopped again
4) this happens repeatidly
Is this what is happening ?
Sorry for leaving that model part out, it would definitely be needed. Testing the key switch seemed different than on a tractor as well, since mine has 7 prongs. But yes, that sums it up. My son was using it at the time it quit, so I'm going by what he said on that part. And when I say it starts and runs, it runs for about 2 seconds. Oil level is at the bottom edge of the top hole. He said when it died initially that the display said something about oil and disappeared. Now, there's nothing abnormal displayed, it just dies and goes blank. At that point, it's like there is no battery at all or a blown fuse.

Last edited:

TNKid

Forum Newbie
Threads
I figured it out, in case anyone wants to know. The connections were loose inside this plug at the back of the engine. I'm not sure what it is, but it obviously operates as a kill switch.

Attachments

• Mower wire.jpg
    Mower wire.jpg
    781.2 KB · Views: 4

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is the dreaded carb solenoid.
It is spring loaded to ram a plug into the end of the main jet and starve the engine of fuel.
IT does not shut off the fuel.
Occasionally the wires break off at the crimp inside the plug so keep your eye on it .
Not a commonly available plug so you will have to order one through a mower shop unless you want a box of 1000