Starting issues with Old Craftsman Riding Mower

captroosh

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am a noob to the forum. Checked FAQ's but didn't see this addreses

I have an old Craftsman Riding mower rear engine job circa 1998. Briggs and Stratton 10.5 HP Sears engine Model # 143.991002. The engine on it has run on this mower very well over the last 10 years. Recently When I was cutting the grass I poured fuel in while it was running as battery was weak. The mower then stalled and did not want to run. I assumed fuel issue. I checked the fuel line and carb bowl fuel was flowing. The engine cranks. I managed to get it to start but it would die within 10 to 30 seconds.

I rebuilt the carb and cleaned it. I managed to get it to start and it ran a little longer and was running much faster but again it quit. I had the airfilter assembly off and choke open and could see a drop of gas come out of choke area while I was cranking it but it wouldn't start again. I have not played with since Sunday. Has new plug and battery now. Any suggestions.

Any help would be appreciated.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get your self a can of stating fluid and a spark tester from your local auto parts store. Check for a good spark with the plug IN the engine. If you have a good spark spray some starting fluid into the carburetor and see if it runs of a few seconds. If it does run for a few seconds you still have a carburetor problem and if not it is timing or compression problems. If that is the case it is another story and we can go from there.

captroosh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I have managed to start it for a few seconds with stater fluid but have not checked the spark. Will get a tester and go from there. Thanks for the quick response.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it started a few seconds your spark is OK and you don't need the tester. You have a carburetor problem. You should see if you can get a carburetor repair kit and if not at the very lease a new needle and seat valve. Get yourself a can of stray carburetor cleaner and take the carburetor apart clean everything as you go.

captroosh

Forum Newbie
Threads
have already rebuilt and thouroghly cleaned carb. Replaced all o rings as well as needle valve. Valve closes when I lift float stopping flow of fuel to bowl as it should. Any other thoughts.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it runs a few seconds when you spray starting fluid into the carburetor you aren't getting fuel through the carburetor. Everything else is working OK. Are you getting fuel from the gas tank to the carburetor. Plugged line or tank? When you rebuilt the carburetor how did you set the float level? You missed something when you cleaned the carburetor?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some of the small engines have a fuel shutoff solenoid. Do you have a electrical wire going to the carburetor.

captroosh

Forum Newbie
Threads
No but there is a capped Idle screw on the side in addition to the adjustment on the Throttle cable and another by the throttle mechanism. Now I bought this used in 2001 and never touched any of these. I wonder if the PO did as when I did get it to start briefly fter the carb rebuild the engine ran very fast as oppsed to prior to the rebuild. One other thing I noticed as well is that prior to all these issues when I had filled the gas tank the engine was running quit slow for a bout 10 min or so even on full throttle. Also I could always tell when it was close to empty because the engine would speed up. I don't know if any of this has a bearing on the present issue but I fIgured I woulsd mention it.

Oh 1 last thing when it did run after the carb rebuild it lloked like white smoke was coming out of the breather tube as it was shutting down.

captroosh

Forum Newbie
Threads
tried starting it again today no luck at all maybe I'll get that spark tester just in case. Starter fkuid would not get it going either

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oh 1 last thing when it did run after the carb rebuild it lloked like white smoke was coming out of the breather tube as it was shutting down.

The two adjustments you are talking about are air adjustments and should be adjusted out about
1 1/2 out to start with and readjusted after the engine starts, starting with the low speed first (top of carburetor) and then high speed ( bottom of bowl). B&S has also a different style carburetor mounted on top of gas tank but being a riding lawnmower I don't think that is what you have?
I didn't know about this white white smoke. :frown: bad piston, (check compression), out of time, (check flywheel key), real old craftsman , ignition points, (check when you have flywheel off????)