Starter will not turn engine sometimes

Boyde

Threads
Good morning. I have a White Outdoor Transmatic Lawn Tractor Model 606, with a Kohler engine Model SV7103 Spec# SV710-0011 Serial # 370108653.

My issue is It is hard to start. Turn the key and I can hear the soloonode click and the starter engage, but not turn the engine. Repeat and no turn, repeat and the engine turns and it fires up. Sometimes it takes more repeats, sometimes less.

Holding the key to the start position does nothing, have to turn key off then to start again, keep repeating this until the starter spins.

Any ideas as to what the issue is?
Let me add a few things I have done over the years:
A few years ago I replaced the solenoid, that made not difference.
I have replaced the battery last year, no difference.
I keep the battery at full charge by using a battery maintainer when parked.
It seems to be worse when the weather is cold, subsequence restarts after the first takes less repeats.
The starter bendex seems to through out into the flywheel gear, but not enough torque to turn the engine.
That is all I can think of right now.

Last edited:

catbob2024

Forum Newbie
Threads
One simple thing to do is to make all of your connections are clean and making good contact. Then you can go to troubleshoot if it didn't help.

Yardman999

Threads
Battery need replacing? Terminals clean and tight? Cables in great shape?

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Something else to check for after making sure of your connections, is to check for a bent starter shaft. A bent shaft will cause the drive gear to move in and out in relation to the flywheel ring gear. If the gear happens to stop when the bend is causing the gear to be closer to the flywheel, it can bind the next time you try to start it. A bent starter shaft was a very common issue on the SV twins and can be intermittent.

Last edited:

pchalpin

Forum Newbie
Threads
You may have to adjust the valves. I just had the same issue. Replaced starter, solenoid and battery. It was the valves. thay were out of adjustment on the compression stroke. Taryl Dactyl videos `on Youtube will help you out.

Boyde

Threads
Something else to check for after making sure of your connections, is to check for a bent starter shaft. A bent shaft will cause the drive gear to move in and out in relation to the flywheel ring gear. If the gear happens to stop when the bend is causing the gear to be closer to the flywheel, it can bind the next time you try to start it. A bent starter shaft was a very common issue on the SV twins and can be intermittent.
Interesting, have not considered this possibility. How would you suggest I might test whether the starter shaft might be bent? Other than swamping the starter with a new one?

Boyde

Threads
You may have to adjust the valves. I just had the same issue. Replaced starter, solenoid and battery. It was the valves. thay were out of adjustment on the compression stroke. Taryl Dactyl videos `on Youtube will help you out.
That is interesting, I suppose if the compression is strong the starter might not have enough torque to turn the engine and after it bumps a few times the valves might open enough to let the compression decrease, thereby letting the starter get a few revolutions in, tyhereby starting the engine.
How would I test for this situation?

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Interesting, have not considered this possibility. How would you suggest I might test whether the starter shaft might be bent? Other than swamping the starter with a new one?
You'll have to take the starter off more than likely. If the shaft is bent, it will be noticeable. If it's easier to take off the blower housing, you might be able to see it that way too.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Considering this a 2007 engine.

This starters do wear out the top bushings and the armature shaft. When this happens the starters start binding upon turning the flywheel under compression load. I have seen starters less than two years old to bind. I lust recently replaced one that I know was just two year old that was binding that was giving problem starting in cold weather due this binding.

But make the battery is fully charged and the battery voltage at the starter is when a couple tenths of a volt as compared to battery loaded voltage when trying to start the engine. Also the battery loaded voltage must not drop below 10.5 volts