Starter stuck

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Do you see that flat tab between the 2 big posts, that is where the trigger wire goes, and i believe it's that purple wire with the white stripe in your picture,as its that way on other John Deere mowers.
when you turn the key to start, the trigger wire gets energized, creates a magnetic field in the solenoid, which pulls the solenoid in to make contact between the 2 big posts, as well as it meshes the starter gear to the flywheel gear.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
starter3.png

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
All the wires with round terminals go on the right side post. Nothing goes to the left side post. Female spade terminal goes on the male spade terminal on the solenoid. When you turn the switch to start it activates the solenoid and makes contact between the right and left terminals inside the solenoid and shifts the gear to the fly wheel thus turning the engine over. If it does not do this you have a problem somewhere else in the ignition or safety switches.

Larrydww88

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you see that flat tab between the 2 big posts, that is where the trigger wire goes, and i believe it's that purple wire with the white stripe in your picture,as its that way on other John Deere mowers.
when you turn the key to start, the trigger wire gets energized, creates a magnetic field in the solenoid, which pulls the solenoid in to make contact between the 2 big posts, as well as it meshes the starter gear to the flywheel gear.
Okay so off of my relay I have the purple wire and I guess I don't know where it gets its power I see the end of it is at the ignition. But I just hit it with the power and it did engage.

Larrydww88

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay so off of my relay I have the purple wire and I guess I don't know where it gets its power I see the end of it is at the ignition. But I just hit it with the power and it did engage.
You are a genius. I knew that's how it went I was just seeing if you were paying attention. Now I have crank no start

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
First i remove the spark plug and spray a short burst of Carb/Brake cleaner, or starting fluid, or a few drops (about a tablespoon) of gasoline into the spark plug hole and try to start it. If it runs then dies, you have a carburetor/fuel delivery issue.
If it doesn't fire at all, i'd think No spark, sheared flywheel key, or low compression.

Last edited: