Export thread

Starter stuck

Larrydww88

Larrydww88

I have a John Deere 165 hydrostatic and present moment my starter stays engaged but the solenoid won't engage and so it just sits there when the battery is connected non stop spinning. How do I get that to stop and what's making it not engaged the solenoid? This is a brand new starter

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Is this a NEW starter you installed, or is it the original starter?
First thought that comes to mind is it is wired backwards, It's not spinning the engine over, right? it's just the starter motor turning?
The Battery cable + is supposed to be on the top post of the solenoid..
1641399054067.png

Larrydww88

Larrydww88

Yes it's a brand new starter. The terminals connect o. the bottom. Give me moment and I'll get pic

Larrydww88

Larrydww88

Okay I'm not able to attach or even take a picture it's saying it's too large. But yes that is the starter I installed which looked exactly like the original and I put the positive battery terminal on the left side post and the other side has the two red wires that are coming from other places

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Upload your image here and copy n' paste the link it gives you here, https://postimages.org/

Larrydww88

Larrydww88

Larrydww88

Larrydww88

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

+ battery cable should go on the right side (where i circled), that smaller red wire is probably used to carry power elsewhere.
STARTER-2.png

Larrydww88

Larrydww88

+ battery cable should go on the right side (where i circled), that smaller red wire is probably used to carry power elsewhere.
STARTER-2.png
And when I put it the other way engage with the flywheel

Larrydww88

Larrydww88

And when I put it the other way engage with the flywheel
Dang it missed the first part as I said. When I hooked it up that way I got nothing out of it

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Do you see that flat tab between the 2 big posts, that is where the trigger wire goes, and i believe it's that purple wire with the white stripe in your picture,as its that way on other John Deere mowers.
when you turn the key to start, the trigger wire gets energized, creates a magnetic field in the solenoid, which pulls the solenoid in to make contact between the 2 big posts, as well as it meshes the starter gear to the flywheel gear.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

starter3.png

H

hlw49

All the wires with round terminals go on the right side post. Nothing goes to the left side post. Female spade terminal goes on the male spade terminal on the solenoid. When you turn the switch to start it activates the solenoid and makes contact between the right and left terminals inside the solenoid and shifts the gear to the fly wheel thus turning the engine over. If it does not do this you have a problem somewhere else in the ignition or safety switches.

Larrydww88

Larrydww88

Do you see that flat tab between the 2 big posts, that is where the trigger wire goes, and i believe it's that purple wire with the white stripe in your picture,as its that way on other John Deere mowers.
when you turn the key to start, the trigger wire gets energized, creates a magnetic field in the solenoid, which pulls the solenoid in to make contact between the 2 big posts, as well as it meshes the starter gear to the flywheel gear.
Okay so off of my relay I have the purple wire and I guess I don't know where it gets its power I see the end of it is at the ignition. But I just hit it with the power and it did engage.

Larrydww88

Larrydww88

Okay so off of my relay I have the purple wire and I guess I don't know where it gets its power I see the end of it is at the ignition. But I just hit it with the power and it did engage.
You are a genius. I knew that's how it went I was just seeing if you were paying attention. Now I have crank no start

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

First i remove the spark plug and spray a short burst of Carb/Brake cleaner, or starting fluid, or a few drops (about a tablespoon) of gasoline into the spark plug hole and try to start it. If it runs then dies, you have a carburetor/fuel delivery issue.
If it doesn't fire at all, i'd think No spark, sheared flywheel key, or low compression.