starter repair

cambre

Threads
I have a Kohler 26hp twin. This engine has been retired, just like I am. Anyone know if it has a compression release feature and would it be in the valve train and on both sides? It will not crank with mower battery alone and it shows 13 volts. It will crank & start if I set my battery charger on boost. Thanks ---------Well I had 53 views and no help yet. So I have another question. Can the automatic compression release problem be fixed without replacing camshaft?

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a Kohler 26hp twin. This engine has been retired, just like I am. Anyone know if it has a compression release feature and would it be in the valve train and on both sides? It will not crank with mower battery alone and it shows 13 volts. It will crank & start if I set my battery charger on boost. Thanks ---------Well I had 53 views and no help yet. So I have another question. Can the automatic compression release problem be fixed without replacing camshaft?

Seeing you have a Kohler engine go to the Kohler web site and they will have a service manual for your engine. This will be more help then any forum. I just can't give you any other answer because I just don't know and if this job came into my shop that would be the place I would go for my answers.

cambre

Threads
Thanks reynoldston: I went to the PDF kohler manual. I have several manuals bookmarked that I use regularly. Could not find anything helpful. This has happen before and when it does I go to the kohler forum on LawnWorld. I have always gotten good help from the forums. Some of the answers I get explain things better than the manuals. Especially when I have problems that the manual doesn't explain in a way that I can understand or doesn't have a solution at all. People that want to help you with a problem similar to what they had is better than any manual any day. I can talk or write to people where I can't with a manual.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cambre could you get us the model and spec, That way we could at least now if it is a horizontal or vertical shaft, or EFI or carburator.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads

Just because you have 13 volts doesn't mean the battery is not bad.

you have a bad battery IMO

take it and have it load tested.

cambre

Threads
Cambre could you get us the model and spec, That way we could at least now if it is a horizontal or vertical shaft, or EFI or carburator.

The mower is craftsman ZTS 7500 26/50 KH, Serial #3850700373, model #107.287910, spec #SV735-0018. Carb is Keihin 32 053 08, 71B ZAC, BCH . Hope this helps. This engine has been retired. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The engine has ACR but no mention if it effect one cylinder or both, and it has been awhile since I have pulled a camshaft of the courage twin. The cam has to be replaced to repair the ACR Since it can be boost started, lets get the battery load tested first. and then if it is good, then maybe cleaning some contact surfaces. Kohler has has a few issues with the starter mounting bolts and starter bosses not creating a good ground. this can be confirmed by connecting the black lead of a meter to the negative post of the battery, and the positive post to the starter case, and checking the voltage while cranking the engine.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks reynoldston: I went to the PDF kohler manual. I have several manuals bookmarked that I use regularly. Could not find anything helpful. This has happen before and when it does I go to the kohler forum on LawnWorld. I have always gotten good help from the forums. Some of the answers I get explain things better than the manuals. Especially when I have problems that the manual doesn't explain in a way that I can understand or doesn't have a solution at all. People that want to help you with a problem similar to what they had is better than any manual any day. I can talk or write to people where I can't with a manual.

I guess doing this type of work all my working years I avoid the free advice like the plague. Talk can be very cheap. Also I have never in all the years doing this work found that no two jobs are alike, similar but not alike. Myself I need hands on and someone living across country can't have any idea what I am doing, my skills, or what I have for equipment to work with. Yes I see it on this forum all the time that everybody knows the working of every mower, wiring and engine ever made with the skills and equipment to repair it. As for myself I work out of a repair manual and do my own repairs. Yes I do see some of these repairs come into my shop from time to time :confused2: Just had one in my shop last week that a Sears mechanic installed a battery backwards then wanted to charge the owner 500 dollars to fix it. Nothing against you doing it your way and I do really hope you the best of luck finding your problem, but its just something I can't help with. :thumbsup:

cambre

Threads
I guess doing this type of work all my working years I avoid the free advice like the plague. Talk can be very cheap. Also I have never in all the years doing this work found that no two jobs are alike, similar but not alike. Myself I need hands on and someone living across country can't have any idea what I am doing, my skills, or what I have for equipment to work with. Yes I see it on this forum all the time that everybody knows the working of every mower, wiring and engine ever made with the skills and equipment to repair it. As for myself I work out of a repair manual and do my own repairs. Yes I do see some of these repairs come into my shop from time to time :confused2: Just had one in my shop last week that a Sears mechanic installed a battery backwards then wanted to charge the owner 500 dollars to fix it. Nothing against you doing it your way and I do really hope you the best of luck finding your problem, but its just something I can't help with. :thumbsup:

reynoldston: I have used manuals & forums to repair a lot of different things also utube. I learned to stick weld & mig weld on utube. My welds are not professional but passable for my needs. The same mower I'm having trouble with the ACR first gave me trouble with the starter. The starter would spin but not crank. I took starter off and took the drive pinion & drive nut (collar) off the starter. I could not see how drive nut transferred power to the drive pinion. At the time I didn't know there was a fiber washer that went between the two. I went to the Kohler manual and could not find one thing about this washer. I went to LawnWorld forum and got info about the washer. The ACR went bad and ground up the washer. There was no pieces of the washer anywhere. That's why I didn't know a washer was suppose to be there. The manual was no help at all & I checked more than one. The forum directed me to the problem. Now that I know what happen I can fix my mower. Talk may be cheap but talk to someone who knows what he or she is talking about is worth a lot. I have been around a while and I can usually tell when someone knows what they are talking about. Thanks for answer.