Starter or Solenoid problem?

JDE123

Threads
When I turn key on my Husky LTH1342B there is only a click, engine does not turn over. I jump started it by attaching red booster cablse to positive post on starter and pos post on battery, (starter is ground by attachment to frame) with key turned to "on" position and brake pedal locked down, the engine turned over and remained running.
But when I released the brake pedal the engine stopped running. Any suggestions?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Clean all the big leads that go to the solenoid/battery and make sure you have a good ground to it, and if that does'nt work, replace the solenoid. That's if your battery is 100%

JDE123

Threads
Thank you Engineman, i shall work on that.

JDE123

Threads
Engineman, I cleaned up about the solenoid as best i could, i do not know if i can do anything besides brush off dirt and spray with Electrical cleaner?
But the engine still cut out when i released the brake.

I then jump started the engine from direct connection between the positive battery post and the small positive post on solenoid. The engine turned over and ran until i released the brake. ?

I wonder if it could be the ignition switch as last year, when the engine did not turn over with the key, i reached around to where the wires come into the ignition switch and moved them about while i turned the key and it would start up?

Something else i am curious about, I cannot see any wiring connected to the brake pedal, so i am wondering how releasing the brake shuts off the engine?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need to look at the schematic and check all of the wiring that you may or may not have damage, if you don't understand the schematic, take it to someone who does. or come back and ask a question here.

Attachments

• LTH1342B.png
    LTH1342B.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 14

JDE123

Threads
I used the schematic and mutintester to test the ignition switch and it tested fine, showed zero resistance at all switch settings.
To summarize the info so far: When i turn the key there is a click, but no turn over attempt. The battery, spark plug and ignition switch seem fine. The engine starts and runs when i jump start from battery positive post to the positive nut on starter, and also runs from the smaller nut on solenoid. But when i release the brake, it stalls out.
[I did remove the attachement / blade switch as i no longer use the tractor for mowing. I joined the two blue wires together, and then i taped the two white wires and the green separately / individually. I did not connect the green to anything.]
What might the next step be in this detective story?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can try this......

Find the wire (small one) that comes from the ignition unit to (M) on the key switch, you should have two wires on the point, remove the other one and then try that. (remember to leave the ignition unit wire on (M) or you not be able to turn off the engine).

Look at the schematic, the parts that you have taken off, look for the path that is killing the engine when you take off your foot on the clutch/brake.

JDE123

Threads
Thanks, will do. May be a few days though.

JDE123

Threads
Could not wait, had to take a look.
There are two black wires going into the "M", unfortunately they are both the same size, all the wires going to the ignition switch are th same size?
How do i know which one to remove, and by remove do you mean cut it or does it pull out?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You have to find out the wire from the ignition unit, then keeping that one on the switch remove the other one. use a multimeter.