Starter-Kohler

hadie

Forum Newbie
Threads
How do you keep the brushes in place when putting a starter back together????????

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Which starter do you have? Old style which uses the round commutator, or new style which has the flat commutator?

DaveTN

Threads
I keep various sizes of copper pipe for that purpose. Plastic tube will work too. On occasion I've used thin wall sockets to do it on various starters including automotive ones. It saves a LOT of headaches let me tell you!

DaveTN

Threads
Please explain the copper pipe.

I use the cooper pipe, plastic tube, or even paper tube to get the brushes ON it before I slide them onto the commutator. That way I don't have to put each individual one on by itself with a screwdriver and possibly chip the brushes. Any ring slightly BIGGER than the COMMUTATOR will work to hold them in place till you can slide the copper tube up against the commutator and slide them on. I've used this method on automobiles, last one on a Mercury Marquis V8. I'd have to look at the starter. This method may not work on all starters.

Last edited:

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Depending on brush style i bend 2 pieces of wire into a "u" shape.
Push the brushes back in retainer opposite each other and use the wire to stop brushes coming out.
Repeat for other 2 brushes.
Then fit the armature to the brushes and push the 2 pieces of wire out.
Fit the magnet housing and drive.