Starter is stuck to flywheel

kkjfjns2014

Threads
Why do you want to test your stator?

Lots of info on-line about how to test.

When asking questions about such you should list the type of engine and it ID info.

You might check with dbelectric for a replacement starter. You need to make a close inspection of all the flywheel teeth on your engine. Your old bendix gear has been going up too high when meshing with the teeth. If just one tooth is bad the whole barrel of apples is will go bad.
Someone mentioned it might he shorted out for some reason?

It's a Kholer SV735s 26 hp engine on a craftsman YTS 4500.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I know that DB Electrical sells the same J&N starters that the Kohler starters are. Currently the 32 098 03-S is their 410-21069 and is currently listed @ $70. (well $69.32)

As for the stator/regulator usually the regulator fails. PN 25 403 37-S

But in this case it appears the starter has failed.

Forest#2

Threads
bertsmobil is correct about them cheap starter, most are weak and wimpy.

I've had good luck with dbelectric starters but have to pay little more than the China clones but less price than OEM over the counter name brand starters.
If you contact dbelectric give them all your engine info and let them pick your replacement. I sometimes send them a email instead of calling if I'm not in a rush and they usually get back in about 4-5 days.

kkjfjns2014

Threads
I know that DB Electrical sells the same J&N starters that the Kohler starters are. Currently the 32 098 03-S is their 410-21069 and is currently listed @ $70. (well $69.32)

As for the stator/regulator usually the regulator fails. PN 25 403 37-S

But in this case it appears the starter has failed.

bertsmobil is correct about them cheap starter, most are weak and wimpy.

I've had good luck with dbelectric starters but have to pay little more than the China clones but less price than OEM over the counter name brand starters.
If you contact dbelectric give them all your engine info and let them pick your replacement. I sometimes send them a email instead of calling if I'm not in a rush and they usually get back in about 4-5 days.
I need to mow so I'm in a hurry. Maybe I'll order the dB one and keep the China one for a backup. Thank you.

Forest#2

Threads
You can find lots of info on-line about how to test the AC output volts of the stator.
You will need a electrical tester. As startech says usually it's the regulator that fails UNLESS someone has been hacking the wiring and sent DC voltage to the stator winding and let the smoke out. (the smoke is already inside electrical stuff just waiting for someone to let it come out) If you are not electrically inclined or have the testers sometimes you can find some regulators for less than $20. Also some auto parts places will check your battery for free No need in replacing other electrical charging parts if you have a bad battery.

Last edited:

Forest#2

Threads
You say:
I need to mow so I'm in a hurry. Maybe I'll order the dB one and keep the China one for a backup. Thank you.

China as a back-up. Now that is funny. A knee slapper.
Good luck on that one.

kkjfjns2014

Threads
You say:

China as a back-up. Now that is funny. A knee slapper.
Good luck on that one.
.....aight then.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will end up paying a lot more than that
Quality aftermarket staters are available from all of the genuine after market parts wholesalers
Prime line used to have the best priced starters , Rotary, Stens & Oregon all do them.
Why people want to play parts roulette is beyond me
For all you know it might be fine with nothing more than a set of brushes ( unlikely ) but you will not know till you pull it apart .
Not uncommon to have a customer who has replaced a cheap starter 3 or 4 times + a couple of batteries plus a solenoid or two because they "think" that they can not afford a guaranteed quality starter
Even had a couple where I have needed to replace the wiring loom because the excessive current draw melted the insulation and the wires in the loom shorted .
Mind you siting there and cranking for 5 minutes at a time because they have never adjusted the valve lash did not help either .

To be just a little flippant
If you can't afford the starter then buy a goat or a sythe both of them are "free" to use .

kkjfjns2014

Threads
You will end up paying a lot more than that
Quality aftermarket staters are available from all of the genuine after market parts wholesalers
Prime line used to have the best priced starters , Rotary, Stens & Oregon all do them.
Why people want to play parts roulette is beyond me
For all you know it might be fine with nothing more than a set of brushes ( unlikely ) but you will not know till you pull it apart .
Not uncommon to have a customer who has replaced a cheap starter 3 or 4 times + a couple of batteries plus a solenoid or two because they "think" that they can not afford a guaranteed quality starter
Even had a couple where I have needed to replace the wiring loom because the excessive current draw melted the insulation and the wires in the loom shorted .
Mind you siting there and cranking for 5 minutes at a time because they have never adjusted the valve lash did not help either .

To be just a little flippant
If you can't afford the starter then buy a goat or a sythe both of them are "free" to use .
Ok then.